Help with a Icq ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wdlove, Aug 18, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I use iChat but I want to talk to an ICQ user. Should I use Proteus, Fire, Adium, Trillian, or another program? I'm running Panther 10.3.9. The other person has a PC. Want to know what will work best. Thanks for your thoughtful advice.

2. ghostee macrumors 6502

Well, Trillian is a PC IM client (and a very good one), so you can't run that on your Mac. My personal favorite is Adium X (www.adiumx.com). You may have to download a few clients to pick for yourself.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, iChat supports ICQ users. You should be able to add their ICQ# to your contact list in iChat.

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I definitely prefer Adium X, too. It looks nice, is stable, can be skinned, etc. Also, it's built from open source code, so you have easy access to developers and don't have to be roped into a proprietary system.

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

If you are set on getting a new client I'd suggest www.adiumx.com . However, iChat does support ICQ contacts who you add like any other contact replacing their account name with the icq number.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was pretty sure that wasn't the case, although admittedly I have never tried it myself. Who can confirm this one way or another?

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

7. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Thanks to all your very thoughtful and kind posts. Have tried the simple route. Added the Icq data into my iChat. Just sent my AIM account information to my friend. Now to see how if goes.