Help with a Word document stuck on my desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caahayes, Feb 1, 2007.

1. caahayes macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    I am not too sure where to go. This is very frustrating. I downloaded a word document (Word 2004) as an attachment from an email to my desktop. I have tried to delete/trash it and it won't let me because it says that it is a read-only document and that it is locked. I have talked with the owner of the document and he tells me that he did nothing to it to lock it. Now it sits on my desktop and I can't remove it. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I ask this question in a different thread? I appreciate any words of advice.
  2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

Nov 2, 2006
    Are we there yet?
    Try restarting your system and see if that unlocks it. It may be held open by mail, or some other app trying to open it.
  3. Angrist macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2005
    MI or NJ
    Right / Cmd-Click the document, get info.
    Then change the permissions to "read and write"

Then smack your friend and tell him to send you LaTeX source and a pdf next time.
  4. caahayes thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    Thank you!!!

You have saved me. I will remember your advice for the future!!!! I love MAC people!
  5. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Too right, I cannot understand how anyone can write any document that contains equations in Microsoft Word.

On the other hand, I know some people who will even write letters in LaTeX rather than word, even if there is no math in them.