Help with Accessories

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ari_0, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Ari_0 macrumors regular

I am planning to buy the new 12" this christmas, I am adamant that the 12" is the better choice since the gaming will be ristricted to the GTA3 port/ GTA SA port and C&C Generals (not a big fan of FPS).

My query is regarding the RAM, where would it be cheaper for me to obtain one? Apple Store's one is like £400 (1Gig) :eek:

Also, iSight is £120, I saw a website that used to be advertised on MacWorld that had a flexi version wich was only £15. Does anyone know the name of the site?

In the interests of "sharing" I have attached my accessories so far :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you talking about this:

http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/icecam.html

It can be used with iChat, etc, using iChatUSBCam from http://www.ecamm.com, but its a USB cam and not a FW cam, so the quality will not be the same. Macworld covered it in May/04. If I understand correctly, you may have to pay for both the cam and the software separately.

3. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

That is not the one no. The one i am talking about looks precisely like the flexi-light advertised on Apple Store. Only it has the same camera on the tip instead of the light. I dont think its made by the same company (or else my search would have been easier). So you are saying that a usb connection as opposed to a firewire would lessen the quality of the camera?

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Well there is no way you're going to find a Firewire webcam for £15, what I think you saw in the magazine was a flexible stand for the iSight. Probably an iFlex or sightflex.

About the RAM, Crucial UK is probably the best place to get good quality decently priced RAM.

5. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

O i see, its just the stand. Ah well, getting it all the same cheers finiksa

Ari_0

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Good luck! Have you used the Talk Now Japanese software before? Is it good? I should get something to help me keep up my Japanese too....

7. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't used it before. My Japanese is very poor and broken. I only know a few basic words from watching like 1000 anime episodes. But I shall be doing PhD on Anime within the next year so I believe in this case it is neccassry for me to learn it so I can goto Japan for research ;)

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

PhD on Anime? Now you've got me envious. :D As a sociologist, or a languages student, or a film student? Very interesting....

9. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

As a Media student. Who will be investigating the business as well as the censorship side of it. Im one year away from a Joint degree in Media & Psychology. I have like a National Diploma, higher E Diploma. Once the degree iscomplete then its a Maters degree and finally a PHD. There is no easy way in. Meh I'll be 36 by the time I be aprofessor of Anime :D

I havent decided whether to investigate the market gap or investigate the appeal of Anime. I know that I have IT, Psychology, Research and Media background knowledge (some stronger thanothers).