help with adding new ethernet adapter

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jmac2480, Jul 29, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2003
    I have a Powermac G4 that got hit by lightning and destroyed the internal Ethernet adapter. I can not find instructions to remove the internal adapter and add a new PCI adapter. Any help or links to assist in this matter would be appreciated.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    If you're adding a PCI Ethernet card, I'm not sure that there's any real need to remove the fried one, unless it's affecting something else.
  3. macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

I'd also invest in a spike arrestor (not to be confused with a surge supressor), to prevent that from happening again.
  4. macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    i had this happen on an older powermac and just popped in the new card. Had to choose the pci card for ethernet, but that was it (under OS9 at the time). Don't bother removing unless you really need the slot.
  5. macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    Re: help with adding new ethernet adapter

Depending on the model of PowerMac you might not be able to replace the integrated NIC, you may need to replace the whole logic board, which at that point, I'd recommend trying an ethernet card first. However, if your machine was hit by lightning, it might have damaged other components not just the NIC, and replacing the logic board may be the better option, especially if it would be covered by warranty/insurance.
  6. macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    What spike arrestor can withstand 300000 Ampere of electricity? That's what happens when you get a direct strike to the outside line. I don't believe anything can stop electricity at such high current from coming in at nearly the speed of light. If there is something, please point me to a link.