Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have CS3 and using Adobe Bridge...Im attempting to open Tiff files in ACR but unable to do so.

In Bridge I have gone to settings and there is only oney area to click on Jpeg and Tiff files to be opened. In CS3 I have Jpeg and Raw files to be opened using ACR also.

Im using a D300 and taking the NEF files into capture and saving as a 16 Tiff file. When trying to open in Bridge the files dont open in ACR but go directly to CS3.
Several people on other forums stated Bridge will indeed open TIff and I need to right click on the file and open in Adobe RAW.

I have a Mac Book Pro and when using the ctrl/pad to right click there is not an option to open in Adobe Raw but just the default of CS3.

Can others with a Mac convert a file to a TIFF and let me know if they are able to open the files in ACR PLEASE!!

Frustrated with this at the moment so hoping I can find a correction

Thanks for your help

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'd like to understand this too. I'm a real novice with Bridge. I use Aperture. But from inside Bridge I click on one of my .NEF files and it comes up inside Photoshop in Camera Raw. I click a 16-bit tiff file and it's inside PS but not Camera Raw. I look at the preferences->file associations in Bridge and both NEF and TIFF are set to Photoshop.

I think this tells me that if the image opens up inside Camera Raw or not depends on a setting inside Photoshop and no in Bridge

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
In all my years of using various versions of photoshop and bridge, I have never heard of this operation nor anyone (especially the many Adobe trainers) mention it.

I highly doubt that it can be done since ACR is an imbedded app/plugin for Photoshop that is specifically for opening raw files of various flavors.

I wouldn't mind someone telling me that I am wrong though, since I am always up for learning something new.

River Studio

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
England/Italy
In all my years of using various versions of photoshop and bridge, I have never heard of this operation nor anyone (especially the many Adobe trainers) mention it.

I highly doubt that it can be done since ACR is an imbedded app/plugin for Photoshop that is specifically for opening raw files of various flavors.

I wouldn't mind someone telling me that I am wrong though, since I am always up for learning something new.

You are quite correct, it can't be done and as you say, ACR is for RAW files....I guess that's why it's called Adobe Camera Raw ;)

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
from what i read by the OP this is what i understand your asking using Bridge to manage your files , Nef files will only open in Camera Raw ready to be processed as photoshop itself cant read the raw file and once you convert to 16 bit tiff this file can then be opened using photoshop for limited processing untill its in 8 bit form and it's fully workable.
I'm not really sure what your hoping to achieve here :confused:
I used to use bridge, now prefer using camera raw to convert and lightroom to tag and catologue the images and cs3 for further processing, mind you i am loaded on quality java right now :D

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Thanks for responding...
The issue is when opening a Nef/RAW file using the Adobe RAW. The files look different in color and brightness than opening with Nikon Capture. Nikon Capture retains the information and doesnt manipulate when opening.

If I open the RAW file in Capture NX and then save it as a Tiff it retains all the information and CS3 does not change. Im not sure why that is. However when saving to a TIFF it wont let me open the file in Adobe RAW. I like making adjustments in Adobe Raw and then taking into CS3.

from what i read by the OP this is what i understand your asking using Bridge to manage your files , Nef files will only open in Camera Raw ready to be processed as photoshop itself cant read the raw file and once you convert to 16 bit tiff this file can then be opened using photoshop for limited processing untill its in 8 bit form and it's fully workable.
I'm not really sure what your hoping to achieve here :confused:
I used to use bridge, now prefer using camera raw to convert and lightroom to tag and catologue the images and cs3 for further processing, mind you i am loaded on quality java right now :D

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
You are quite correct, it can't be done and as you say, ACR is for RAW files....I guess that's why it's called Adobe Camera Raw ;)

wrong!

with cs3 you can manipulate jpgs and tiffs in camera raw

as far as the problems the OP is having, i'm not sure-perhaps capture is doing something funny to the tiff which confuses camera raw. try opening a raw file in camera raw, save it as a tiff, then open that tiff in camera raw (just to see if it will-might show something is wrong with opening in capture first?)

as far as the color, brightness, etc. issue-is camera raw set to open files with default adjustments?

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Thanks for responding...
The issue is when opening a Nef/RAW file using the Adobe RAW. The files look different in color and brightness than opening with Nikon Capture. Nikon Capture retains the information and doesnt manipulate when opening.

If I open the RAW file in Capture NX and then save it as a Tiff it retains all the information and CS3 does not change. Im not sure why that is. However when saving to a TIFF it wont let me open the file in Adobe RAW. I like making adjustments in Adobe Raw and then taking into CS3.

Thats right, Once you use NX has converted to Tiff it cant be opened in Adobe Raw only PS by default, I used NX once, didn't like it one bit, colours were inaccurate, use cs3 to process from raw via adobe raw then save to 16bit tiff to process in photoshop. I understand you like using adobe raw for making adjustments, so there really isn't any need to use NX :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Okay, now I see.

Yes, once you open the RAW file in NX, which should give you a different color than ACR since it's made for NEF files, save it as a TIFF then try to open it in ACR it won't happen.

ACR only opens raw files of various flavors, and once you save it as a TIFF (an ordinary TIFF) then ACR won't open the file since there is no need to... the image has already been processed.

ACR and NX are both RAW converters, so you will have to pick which one you want to convert/process your RAW files. Pick the one that works best for you and move from there.

I am still 99% sure that ACR can't open TIFF files, but if someone wants to tell me that there is a way to save an unprocessed TIFF file (whatever that may be) then open it in ACR I am willing to listen.

And by that I don't mean DNG files.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Over on DPreview they are saying that saving as a Tiff and opening in RAW is possible and thats why I came to ask here...It might be the way Capture is doing the NEF but others dont seem to have an issue.
Even right clicking on Jpegs and RAW to put into ACR I dont get and option that says open with ACR or RAW converter.

ACR and CS3 are on default settings so Im sure that is why the files look different. There is a large difference though from Capture NX than ACR. The capture colors look much much better so I need to figure this out.

I can save them as Jpeg and everything is fine, but I have been told you lose Data from the file when doing so. TIff would be much better if possible.

Okay, now I see.

Yes, once you open the RAW file in NX, which should give you a different color than ACR since it's made for NEF files, save it as a TIFF then try to open it in ACR it won't happen.

ACR only opens raw files of various flavors, and once you save it as a TIFF (an ordinary TIFF) then ACR won't open the file since there is no need to... the image has already been processed.

ACR and NX are both RAW converters, so you will have to pick which one you want to convert/process your RAW files. Pick the one that works best for you and move from there.

I am still 99% sure that ACR can't open TIFF files, but if someone wants to tell me that there is a way to save an unprocessed TIFF file (whatever that may be) then open it in ACR I am willing to listen.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK

I'm always using Adobe Camera Raw to open and edit TIFF files. I have it set so I can either double-click or right-click to open in ACR rather than Photoshop. I often save 35mm neg scans as TIFFs, then tweak them in ACR.

I think it's probably a preference setting, but I'll have to check.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm always using Adobe Camera Raw to open and edit TIFF files. I have it set so I can either double-click or right-click to open in ACR rather than Photoshop. I often save 35mm neg scans as TIFFs, then tweak them in ACR.

I think it's probably a preference setting, but I'll have to check.

Right! It's in the preferences under "File Handling" but I don't see any option to open TIFF files in ACR, just JPG. But i see that it can be done.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Right! It's in the preferences under "File Handling" but I don't see any option to open TIFF files in ACR, just JPG. But i see that it can be done.

Bridge Preferences > Thumbnails > Performance and File Handling > Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for JPEG and TIFF Files

I think this was a new feature in CS3.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have check all those points and dont have problems with the Jpegs or the RAW files but its Tiffs that will not open in ACR...I have tried everything suggested and then some...I have seen many posts on this on the net today and currently trying to get ahold of a guy having same issue. I dont have the update to CS3 10.1 yet and running 10.0. My bridge is updated

Ahhhh! So it's in Bridge, okay.

Very good piece of info to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.