Help with airport and a G4 400 AGP

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wildcat, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Wildcat macrumors regular

Ok so I need a airport solution for my G4 400. I have a airport express base station. My question is this, Does anyone know if there is a third party wi-fi card maybe of the G variety that will work on my mac?

Thanks

2. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

3. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

checkout xlr8yourmac.com, i think their is some that work with a few mods

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Why get a third party card for it? You do know that it has a real dedicated Airport slot, right? But it's the older 802.11b-only type, not the newer extreme ones. Is it because you can't find those cards anymore, or because you need 802.11g speeds (802.11b is way more than enough bandwidth for broadband internet), or because you want a less expensive price?

5. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

yes I know that my G4 has a dedicated slot for airport. But cost is the main issue. A 802.11b airport card is selling on ebay for about $90.00 plus. Seems expensive to me.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, that does seem strange to me as well, since about two years ago I walked into my local Fry's Electronics and picked up a brand-new one for exactly the same price ($90.00), with no shipping as you will pay on eBay. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps those cards are not being made by Apple anymore and so they're expensive because of their rarity.