Help with airport card in imac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zeanza, Mar 17, 2004.

1. zeanza macrumors newbie

Can anyone help with an airport connection problem? I have an iMac 9.0 os.
    The instructions to install an airport card w/adapter do not match the inside
    schematics of this imac. Is there an airport card in this imac already? I have checked the apple extras folder for the airport installation progragm and It is not there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have wireless
    roadrunner and I am trying to set this imac up for connection. Thanks.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

How old is your iMac? Some iMacs don't support Airport.

3. zeanza thread starter macrumors newbie

Age of Imac

I don't believe it older than 1.5 years. We bought them at work and just recently upgraded to emacs. This one would not "play" well with other imacs on the network. It had some sort of glitch. It seems every mac in the office has some sort of glitch of its own. So maybe this one has no spot for the airport card?

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Airport cards...

Airport card adapters don't go inside Macs, they plug in via USB. And...are you sure you have an Airport or an Airport EXTREME card?

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

The Airport Card Adapter does plug into the inside of the Mac. It is an adapter that allows the PCMCIA style Airport Card to be plugged into a port on the logic board. I have installed a few of these in other iMacs adn I have never seen an adapter for the Airport that uses USB.

If I remember right the Airport first became available on the 2000 model iMacs (400 MHz?). Is yours one of these models or is it earlier?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I digress...

So true, so true. My apologies about the adapter, but the rest needs to be answered...and..do you have a CRT or a flat panel iMac?

7. zeanza thread starter macrumors newbie

The OS is 9.0.4 and it is a powermac G3, 350 mhz. I got this info off of the system profiler. It is not an airport extreme card. It is an airport card that "plugs" into the card adapter and has a silver clip like thing holding the card in the adapter.

8. zeanza thread starter macrumors newbie

The OS is 9.0.4 and it is a powermac G3, 350 mhz. I got this info off of the system profiler.

9. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

You need this. And you might think about upgrading to 9.2.2 if you don't want to go all the way to OS X.

10. zeanza thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

if your iMac is one of the versions wich isn't compatible with the Airportcard + adaptor there's a solution wich adds an airportcompatible USB dongle to your mac

it allso helps for people who wants to go wireless with their B&W G3

greetings J