Help with an old emac comp.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Macbrainwracked, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Macbrainwracked, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi, I have a problem I am trying to figure out. I was given an old emac computer with os 10.4 tiger I believe it is, I took most of the day and got the mac hooked up to the internet through my windows laptop. I also got it setup to where I can access files on the emac from my laptop. Now I am trying to update it to be able to use firefox, as the app that is on the emac now does not connect to the net for some reason.

Everytime I go to the update software it gets about a little ways and stops then times out. Is there anyway to update this manually? and what can I update this to? Thank you for you help!

I want to add it is a G4 emac.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2011
    You can go to apple webpage and download the updates. if it is os x 10.4 flat you can update to 10.4.11

The Lateist version of firefox for PPC is 3.6 try the new TenFourFox Firefox for PPC you need to update to OSX 10.4.11 (Free Download) to try this :)
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2011
    Thanks for the Reply! Sorry it has taken me so long to give an update on this thread. I have got it updated to 10.4.11, thank you very much for the help! But Now I seem to have another dilema. What I am wanting to do is get this dinosaur online, But I do not have an airport card. I have an ethernet cable that is connected from the emac, to my wireless laptop. And my laptop feeds off a signal from our wireless router. My question is how do I tether the emac to my laptops internet? I have tried many things except for switching on the internet sharing option built-in Ethernet. Every time I click on it I get a warning message "if you turn on this port, your internet service provider might terminate your service to prevent you from disrupting its service".

What on earth does this mean? I really do not want to loose my internet service, but would like to get this online as I do not have the funds to drop on an airport card. Any suggestions for this?:confused:
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2011
    Airport cards can be had on ebay for like $25. Save your pennies, it'll be worth it. Damn I wish I hadn't destroyed my eMac. Awesome machines.