help with applecare

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Angelus, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hey maybe you people can help me make a decision about the applecare package.I am going buying one of the new powermacs and ive no problem paying the money but by the time ive added a monitor,ram and superdrive my budget is nearly at its limits(this would be no problem were it not for a "little thing" called college registration fees this autumn).
    is the applecare worth the price from your own experience or do most people get by without it.This is my 1st mac and while i understand that such an extended support service would be very helpful theres a chance that i may have to sacrifice features in order to get applecare.
    I'd like to hear your comments on your experiences with applecare.

Thanks Angelus
  2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Re: help with applecare

ive had pretty good experience with applecare on my pbg4..

i dont know about powermacs.. i mean, the newwer generation powermacs (like quicksilver.. ).. however, id recommend buying applecare once your warranty runs out (like not after it does, but maybe a week or so before) cause then you dont waste money on the first few months that are free anyways... i mean, if others suggest you getting applecare at all..

good luck!
  3. Here&There macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2002
    I've been using Macs for the last 7 years, and I never send my macs to service, or needed support, not even a single time! They just don't get broken..... I'd be fine even w/o the 1 year warranty.

The new PMs looks sketchy though..
  4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    Applecare is definately worth it!

I bought mine when I bought my iBook. So far I had to use it two times in it's first year....the first time was because my HD was louder then usual and the second time involved the rubber foot on my battery....I called them up about getting another foot, they sent me a whole new battery in it's place.

It's worth it....if there's any questions after your one year warranty is up it'll cost you $49 each call if you don't get it....
  5. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Re: help with applecare

Get AppleCare, just in case, but you can wait.

You have 90 days of telephone support without it, 1 year hardware warranty. Get it within the 90 days.

Don't buy Ram from Apple. Too expensive. You can get it cheaper from other places like and it works just fine. Really easy to install. I'd buy a cheaper monitor, too. Apple LCDs are nice, but expensive. Personnally, I still prefer CRT.

Also, are you using Apple's Educational discount? Sometimes, if you're not configuring-to-order, it can be cheaper (if your state has high sales tax) if you use a mail order or internet Apple Authorized Resaler. Like Some good refurb and used equipment. Apple does have free shipping though, and since you mentioned adding the SuperDrive, I'm assuming you're doing a CTO.

Just don't wait too long to get the AppleCare. And don't forget, it comes with diagnostic tools, too.

BTW, I like the name. Angelus. Buffy and Angel right? You'll find a lot of people here share the same interests. The Mac Lovers at even named their daughter Anya.

Most of us find the Dell Dude annoying, too.
  6. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i've got the AppleCare package, but thats only because it comes with the education discount.:D
    it is a good thing to have, but if you don't have enough cash you should wait and get it within the limited time. it will definitely pay for itself.
  7. saint macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Hey, thanks cb911, you just saved me $120(AU). I didn't know you could get edu discount on applecare. I was just about to send off the form too.
    It is a surprisingly big edu discount actually!

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    I think Apple Care is always worth it on Notebooks, but on Powermacs, I would wait;) Because I haven't seen to many Powermacs with any problems;)

But I will tell you this, it is expensive than hell when Powermacs break!!:p
  9. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    What do you mean it COMES with the educational discount? My iBook didn't come with it free!?!?!
  10. Angelus thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    Thanks very much for your contribution.
    i wont buy it straight away ,il wait for the 90 days to end it possible to buy applecare on its own with an educational discount cos that would help with the cash scenario.

Ya the names from buffy and angel,its pretty cool(only problem is that here in ireland we have a prayer called the "angelus" which is said at 6pm everyday and all the irish chatters in chatrooms keep asking me if im like a holyman or something :) ).

anyway thanks again for all of your advice,oh ya 1 more thing.Im not starting college til october so would i have to have proof of registration(with the college) or something like that in order to qualify for an educational discount??

Peace with you