Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gandaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Is there a way to arrange folders in in a way other than name, date modified etc. I have created a pdf Bible. Each folder is the name of a book of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus etc) I want the folders to be arranged in the same order as the Bible. There must (I hope) be a way for me to arrange them in the order I want them and then save them that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you select Show View Options from the View menu whilst the folder with your bible PDFs is open (and selected), you could uncheck Keep Arranged By and then sort them how you like. Would that help?

One you've done this, you could use Automator (assuming you're on Tiger) to sequentially place a number at the start of each file name meaning that if you please, you can then sort by name and they should stay in the order you want. Of course, this second part probably isn't necessary. :)

gandaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks mad jew.
Is there any way to do this in "column" view though?

. . .and, I thought about using Automator but I would rather not have the names of the folders changed

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
When you do change the view options make sure it's highlighted on "This Window Only." Just a tip because I messed up a lot and couldn't figure it out.

Hey, better safe than sorry right?

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.