Help with Backup 2.0.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rympy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. rympy macrumors member

Since performing the upgrade from panther to tiger the Backup app is not working. When I try to open it I get a message saying:

"The path to your home directory contains an alias, which isn't supported by Backup."

and then I must quit the app.
    I tried re-installing backup 2.0.2 but the same thing happens. I also tried moving the preferences for backup to the desktop also (mac help suggested that one)

I've got no more ideas.
    Help please and thank you!

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've used Backup with Tiger so I know it works. Thats an odd error message, I guess you've tried repairing permissions?

Your home directory doesn't have any aliases in it, does it? Those are the only things I can think of, oyu might want to try doing a search for all the Aliases on your computer and seeing if anyhting unusual shows up.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've used Backup with Tiger so I know it works. Thats an odd error message, I guess you've tried repairing permissions?

Your home directory doesn't have any aliases in it, does it? Those are the only things I can think of, oyu might want to try doing a search for all the Aliases on your computer and seeing if anyhting unusual shows up.

4. rympy thread starter macrumors member

I found the problem.
    Somehow my home folder was changed to "Rympy" from "rympy". that made all the difference. I'm not sure how it happened, but problem solved.
    Thanks for the input.