Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I just got a iMac and downloaded the app wanted to do some custom gestures. It is killing me though even after seeing it's help section. I know how to select my "Trackpad" and choose what I want to do e.g three-finger swipe down. The thing is when selecting the Predefined action I want to select "Refresh" for Chrome but I don't see it?!? Is refresh labeled something else?

I even tried doing Global as well as using the "+" to add Chrome and still can't find it

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
For me in order to make a refresh I ended up having to write an script for it then setup BetterTouchTools (BTT) to run the script with a gesture. Not sure where I have the script now because I haven't used it in a while.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
For me in order to make a refresh I ended up having to write an script for it then setup BetterTouchTools (BTT) to run the script with a gesture. Not sure where I have the script now because I haven't used it in a while.

Hmm wow that sucks guess I'm sol then definitely don't know how to do that. Is the script hard to do?

I don't know why there isn't a preset to choose it. Im on my iPad now, but as I think about it don't even remember seeing a minimize window either. :(

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Hmm wow that sucks guess I'm sol then definitely don't know how to do that. Is the script hard to do?

I don't know why there isn't a preset to choose it. Im on my iPad now, but as I think about it don't even remember seeing a minimize window either. :(

I mainly got my script to work using AppleScript and then used google to find a script on how to refresh chrome with applescript. So google did the most part. I wrote it to work on different browsers but chrome I beleive was a little bit of pain to have it work on a single tab while other browsers had no problem with single tabs.

If I remember I will look it up when I get home. I posted the script on a staff section of a site I help mod so I should still find it there hopefully.

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
I just added Chrome as a specific app (on the left) and then added my gesture and used the keystroke of Cmd+R which does a refresh

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Found it. Looks like I never fully got it working in chrome lol. Here is the script that worked for Safari last year.

Code:
tell application "Safari"
	tell window 1
		set current tab to (make new tab with properties {URL:"http://macrumors.com"})
	end tell
end tell

Change the site to whatever you would like to check.

Here was my post on the chrome issue.
K, been working on this. If you want something changed let me know. Right now it will open a new chrome window with a tab to whatever web address you want in there. (have to have http:// in there)

Problem I have is that it will open a new window and make a blank tab and then a tab with your address. Been looking all over to find how to create new window with url in the first tab but not having any luck.

Code:
tell application "Google Chrome"
	set aWin to make new window with properties {mode:"normal"}
	tell aWin
		set newTab to make tab with properties {URL:"http://macrumors.com"}
	end tell
end tell

Just copy and paste that script in AppleScript. Save it as something; mine is ChromeNewPosts. Then in Bettertouchtools make new gestures and have it point to predefined action like in the screen shot I below. Point it at the action script file you created with my code. The gesture I have mine set to is five finger tap.

These scripts were tested in Feb of 2011 so not sure how much has been changed to block it.

----------

I just added Chrome as a specific app (on the left) and then added my gesture and used the keystroke of Cmd+R which does a refresh

What PR said should work a lot easier; more so if using for random sites and not specific exact site all the time. I made the script because other staff members wanted to just use a gesture to open "new posts" search with a single gesture. Like I had it set to open safari to that address for new posts from anywhere with tapping 4 fingers.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

Found it. Looks like I never fully got it working in chrome lol. Here is the script that worked for Safari last year.

Code:
tell application "Safari"
	tell window 1
		set current tab to (make new tab with properties {URL:"http://macrumors.com"})
	end tell
end tell

Change the site to whatever you would like to check.

Here was my post on the chrome issue.

These scripts were tested in Feb of 2011 so not sure how much has been changed to block it.

----------

What PR said should work a lot easier; more so if using for random sites and not specific exact site all the time. I made the script because other staff members wanted to just use a gesture to open "new posts" search with a single gesture. Like I had it set to open safari to that address for new posts from anywhere with tapping 4 fingers.
Nice thanks so much guys!!

BTW what do you guys think is a good gesture for "Refresh"? I tried the rotate to right but its too hard to do have to twist my fingers in a weird way. LOL

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
I have:

3 finger click = refresh
4 finger click = new tab
5 finger click = close tab
TipTap Right = open link in new tab

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have:

3 finger click = refresh
4 finger click = new tab
5 finger click = close tab
TipTap Right = open link in new tab

Nice, the three finger click sounds natural as Refresh going to try that one. I have four finger click to quit an app. And four finger swipe down to minimize a window a la iPad somewhat :D

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I use three finger click as middle click to open links on pages in their own tab.

----------

Very true.

Do you know if they have a Two-finger click as I cant find it?

I had another question about BetterTouchTool. I set it in Login Apps to start with my unit when I log in but sometimes it doesn't boot up....any idea why this happens? I want it to start with my iMac everytime I turn it on from a Shut Down hate having to open the app all the time.

bogoss

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
BTT is very handy, but I found the latest versions really insensitive with tiptap, I can hardly trigger it no matter what I try... nevertheless it's one of those nicest little things that makes Mac fun and easy to use, thanks to magic mouse too of course. :)

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
BTT is very handy, but I found the latest versions really insensitive with tiptap, I can hardly trigger it no matter what I try... nevertheless it's one of those nicest little things that makes Mac fun and easy to use, thanks to magic mouse too of course. :)

Is it just me or is there not a 2-finger click option?

this is killing me grrr

bogoss

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Is it just me or is there not a 2-finger click option?

this is killing me grrr

there is 2-finger click, see attached, I am still using an old version because of the tiptop issue, AFAIK the new version has more options even.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-22 at 6.33.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-12-22 at 6.33.42 AM.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 111

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This is now the “Post your BTT configuration” thread.

Symbol guide (for copy-paste/reference):
⌘ = Command (the “Apple key”)
⌥ = Option (“alt”)
⇧ = Shift
^ = Control
⇥ = Tab
↑↓→← = Arrow Keys

On my current machine, which I use a keyboard and mouse with, I have:

Keystrokes:
⌘^1 Resize window to top-left quarter
⌘^2 Resize window to top-right quarter
⌘^3 Resize window to bottom-left quarter
⌘^4 Resize window to bottom-right quarter
⌘^5 Center window
⌘^← Maximize window left
⌘^→ Maximize window right
⌘^↑ Maximize window
⌘^↓ Restore window size
⌘^B Show BTT Prefs

For my previous machine, with a multitouch pad, I had a whole bunch of trackpad gestures as well. The ones I used most were to cycle through tabs in a window, windows in an app, and apps that are running:

2-finger gestures
TipSwipe left finger up: ⌘0 (view “actual size” in Preview)
TipSwipe left finger down: ⌘9 (fit to window in Preview)

3-finger gestures
3F click: Middle click
3F swipe right: ⌘` (“next window” in current app)
3F swipe left: ⌘⇧` (“previous window”)
3F swipe up: “Page Up”
3F swipe down: “Page Down”
3F double-tap: ⌘⇧M (activate DejaMenu)
2F tiptap left: ⌘[ (browser “back”)
2F tiptap right: ⌘] (browser “forward”)

4-finger gestures
4F click: Mute/Unmute
4F swipe up: “Home” (jump to top of document/webpage)
4F swipe down: “End” (jump to bottom of document/webpage)
4F swipe left: ⌘⇥ (switch to most recent previous app)
4F swipe right: ⌘⇧⇥ (cycle through open apps—technically, “switch to least recent app”)
Tap 1-2-3-4: ⌘⇧] (next tab in current window)
Tap 4-3-2-1: ⌘⇧[ (previous tab in current window)
Tap 1-4-3-2: Multiple, so a menu appears with “Open Finder”, “Logout”, “Sleep Display”, “Eject”, “Show / Hide Files in Finder”, and “Show BTT Preferences”.

I also had a couple for Mission Control and Show Desktop. I think they were 1-2-3-4 and 4-3-2-1 while holding Option.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
there is 2-finger click, see attached, I am still using an old version because of the tiptop issue, AFAIK the new version has more options even.
It is strange see here I don't have one:confused::(

There isnt even a Two-Finger tap but that is a default gesture from Apple for Middleclick.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 2.57.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 2.57.22 AM.png
    643.8 KB · Views: 118

e271

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
I had another question about BetterTouchTool. I set it in Login Apps to start with my unit when I log in but sometimes it doesn't boot up....any idea why this happens? I want it to start with my iMac everytime I turn it on from a Shut Down hate having to open the app all the time.

In BTT, have you set Prefs>Basic Settings>Launch BetterTouchTool on startup?

Let me know if this works for you. I have this set and each time I log in there is a BTT process running but sometimes BTT doesn't recognize gestures until I restart it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.