Help with BitTorrent, please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamescwarren, Mar 8, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I have just heard of bittorrent and everytime i try and download something, there is no action. what i mean like is that it stays at 0 KB. HELP!

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One... a title like Help isn't going to get much response - give a clue in the title and you might get more people look in.

Two... since you haven't given any legit reason for using BT, people are probably ignoring you since it's against the rules of the forum to discuss ways to pirate software/music/movies (since that's one of the main reasons some people use BT)

Three... there's lots of information on BT out there on the web... so you should be able to figure out the basics of why it's 0 with a little research.

EDIT: This was originally in response to the OP's followup 'bump' asking why no-one was helping.

3. Laser macrumors newbie

Maybe there are no seeders.

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Ya, no seeders...no download...

Try to find a LEGIT LEGAL torrent that has a ton of seeders and see if that works, if it doesn't...well then you need to open some ports in system prefs>sharing>firewall

http://bt.etree.org/index.php is a great legal place for Torrents of live concerts.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Which client are you using? Check the home page for the FAQ relating to networking.

Do you have port forwarding enabled from your router to the machine running bittorrent? This can stop your torrents dead.

Which port are you running BitTorrent on? Some seeders ban clients running on the default port.

Like they say above try a good legal torrent (like a Linux distro) to make sure you have your network set up correctly.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

For anyone wishing to complain about illegal uses or against those who have already said something about illegal uses, please don't. Your posts will be deleted as spam.

There is nothing in the current posts that the original poster is trying to download illegal items, only that BitTorrent is often used for such purposes.

Be sensible!

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

This is my favorite Post ever on mac rumors (see above)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I hope that you're not trying to say that I've missed something. :eek:

I've already had to delete a couple of rants that didn't help the original poster or anyone else. I don't like piracy but until the original poster states that he's trying to download something illegally available, I'm not doing anything negative to this or any other thread concerning p2p.

9. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Try downloading one of the torrents from legaltorrents.com. Some of the book readings are particularly good. And the best bit is they are all free and legal.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sorry bousozoku - my original comments were in answer to a bump asking why no-one had helped - and weren't meant to start something that created work for you or the other mods. It really wasn't intended to come across as the moral indictment that some have seen it as.

Still I couldn't help but wonder whether this later thread of the OP was related

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Just saying that it's nice to read a reasonable post about Bit Torrent from a Mod.

well done.

I use Bit Torrent to download Live concerts all the time, perfectly legal, and perfectly acceptable.

cheers

:)

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I saw that, too.

I think most of the problem is that a lot of people miss details. Everything is yes or no and there is no degree of anything, no fine edge. Reading comprehension is lacking and it shows.

It doesn't make sense to be against legal uses for p2p software. It's good stuff.

Geez, I'll have to delete all of this stuff because we're off-topic now. :D :eek: