help with booting up into any system on my iMac is heavily needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by thegeek187, Mar 30, 2003.

1. thegeek187 macrumors member

Jan 5, 2003
    this is actually bennetsaysargh on his brother's computer without permission, but that is because he got the computer that i use messed up.
    he got a new game and a joystick yesterday, and the game wasn't working. he went on my comp to see if it worked on it, and i got the equivilant to a blue screen of death. it is a "?" blinking with a finder logo blinking. i booted up on a system 9 disk, and accidentally hit network startup. it is now stuck on network startup, and won't get off of it unless i go into FW disk mode. it shows up on my brother's computer, but wants to initialize it. what does initializing it do to a HD?
  2. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2002
    It will clear everything off of your hard drive. initializing your HD is formating your HD so your computer can read/write on it.
  3. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2003
    To get out of network startup, reset the PRAM. Restart the computer and hold down option-apple-P-R and keep holding it down until you hear the chime 3 times. That should do it.

Hope this helps!

ps:I did this once. :)
  4. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    Don't forget to click your heels together while saying "there's no place like home..." three times. ;)
  5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    When it asks to initialize, hit cancel, then use Disk First Aid (the 9 version works better for this actually) to repair it. If it doesn't show up in the list of drives in Disk First Aid... well, hope you backed up recently