help with buying refurbished

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by me2621a, Jun 3, 2006.

1. me2621a macrumors member

hi im thinking if buying a 2.16ghz macbook pro from apples refurbished site. If anyone knows what i should exsplect in terms of quality. in other words should i wory about scratches or dents or is it going to be just like a new computer.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This question is asked all the time. Please learn to search.
    Refurbs are either customer returns aftering opening or computers that were replaced. Apple checks/repairs them and sells them as refurbs. There should be scratches or dents. They come in a plain brown box instead of nice MBP box seen in the store.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Generally current model refurbs are in like new condition.

If you are not qualified for education discounts getting a refurb is a great way to save on your purchase.

4. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Don't expect it to look perfect- some of them do, some don't. Expect a scratch or a dent because you never know. They come with the same warranty as new computers, so if something truly isn't working as it should, you shouldn't have any problems.

5. me2621a thread starter macrumors member

but will apple fix it if there is a dent. apple representitives are usuring me that this computer will be identicle to a new one aside from the box. the computer its self will be flawless and there will be no schratches on it or dents. shuld i trust this info

6. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Apple won't fix a minor dent or scratch. Obviously if it comes to you majorly dented/scratched that's pretty unacceptable. Realize you aren't buying a new computer, which should never have scratches/dents.

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I got a refurb 1.67GHz G4 PB. Took it out of the brown box, plugged it in, sat down, hit the power button, and got ready for my discount Mac experience. (FYI, I loooove starting a new Mac!)

What do I get? The question mark folder that means there's no useable OS available to the CPU. :confused:

Big deal? No -- I just installed Tiger from the disks and got on with it.

But you should keep in mind that the thing's not new.

8. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

So the Education discount doesn't apply to refurbs??:(

9. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Nope. You gotta choose educational discount or refurb.