Help with Cable/DSL Router Purchase

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AmbitiousLemon, Jun 20, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Hello folks. I am very dissatisfied with my current router (SMC 4 port barricade). It overheats and stops working, it loses its settings, it is very slow, port mapping doesnt work.

So i am looking to purchase a good router. I am not very familiar with most fo the companies so I'm not sure who is good and who is crap (like SMC). I know many people have linksys and belkin but i do not know if that means they are good. Also there seems to be huge discrepancies in prices (from $40 to $250 US$).

I need at least 4 ports. Need pppoe support for my dsl isp. and good port mapping. 3 (all osx) macs and 1 pc (win2k) will be hooked up to it. also i hate firewalls so i need to be able to turn that off.

[a monkey plugging and unplugging cables in and out of the dsl modem is not a practical solution for a router so dont suggest it]

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I would advise Linksys, all my gear is Linksys (WAP, Router w/4 Port Switch, & 2 x 8 Port hubs).
    All of it has been very reliable and is very easy to setup, management of the router is done via a very easy to use web interface and can be as simple or complex as you would like.
    Features include port forwarding, Mac filtering and so on...
    Check 'em out! :D

[edit]BTW...This is an all round great solution, WAP, Router and 4 port 10/100 Switch![/edit]

3. Draft macrumors 6502

I have used a linksys router for nearly 2 years now, and I've never had a problem with it. No overheating and no resetting, other then after firmware updates (which happen very infrequently). Also it is extremely easy to set up and use. Hope that this helps.

Draft

4. mmcneil macrumors regular

Happy with Netgear

RF114 - 18 months, no problems - no detectable heat, 4 ports 10/100, this one has a firewall which I prefer since I am running OS X. I don't think you can go wrong with either Netgear or Linksys. Netgear setup is via browser.

5. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I would go with the Linksys router, model: BEFSR41 V.2
    I have had it for 6 months and it has been on nonstop. It has 4 ports and has a built in switch. I use it to share files between an iMac and a G4, and to get on the internet.

6. Draft macrumors 6502

This is the exact same model that I use. I like it a lot.

Draft

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

linksys

I have a wireless 4 port router from linksys. I love it. The last firmware update for it helpled out a lot. What I like about it is the simple web interface, the abillity to port forward, DMZ options, concurent DHCP and static IP adressing (I like using static IP's but I like to run DHCP for when I just need to plug in a box for some quit networking) , encription, and its reliable. I have had mine running for several months with out ever powering it down. Its a great consumer router. I saw the non-wirles model on sale at BestBuy a few weeks ago go for $50.00. Pretty good deal. Your old router had a built in firewall? Or are you talking about not being able to get in computers bedhind the router for some web services like ftp, telent, ssh, carracho, AIM.. etc. You can forward all the ports if you want to to all of your computers (using static IP's) Or you can put computers in the DMZ so the world can seem them compleetly and you can take care of firewalling at each box localy. I have 3 Macs (OS9/OSX) and 3 PC's (98/2000/XP) currently on my network.

-evildead

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

got a linksys router+4 port ethernet hub and it works great

got my XP box, G4, phaser 740 [printer], and my laptop on it, and everybody's happy

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You may want to take a look at this , a thread I started a while back about home network setups, you may find it usefull.

10. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

hm according to that link you posted seems like people have a lot of problems with linksys. similiar to the problems i have with my current router.

11. Draft macrumors 6502

I think that problems come more with the wireless routers.

Draft

12. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well the linksys router got here today (cost me $75 with tax and shipping) and i must say i most certainly DO NOT reccommend this router. Im really surprised you guys would reccommend this POS.

Cant turn off firewall

no mac support

no mac software

need a pc to set it up

terrible tech support

ships with out of date firmware

conflicts with many dsl modems

when it does work, its buggy.

so all i have to say is, what were you guys thinking when you reccommended this thing? its probably the worst router a mac user could buy, seems like every other router out there supports macintosh. if anyone else is in the market now, i must say stay far away from linksys. dont listen to these fools. they already found one victim.

13. Solipsys macrumors member

Try harder

"Cant turn off firewall..."

DMZ Host...try it.

"no mac support"

Universal HTML front end.

"no mac software"

As above.

"need a pc to set it up"

Ditto.

Just turn on DHCP and let all your comps get onboard...I have had my Linksys router for over a year and I've had to restart it no more than 3 times... and those times were more than likely due to Pacbell. I run my web and email server from one mac (with DMZ on) and have two other macs, plus a pc connected to it. Give the thing a chance, those of us who recommend it can't all be wrong :)

14. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I have a wireless linksys 4port router... works great! no problems whatsoever

15. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: AmbitiousLemon

you dont need any software!?

everything is web based for configuration. There is a mini webserver running inside of it. It doesnet come with any Windows software ether. As for the firmware... thats kind of expected. Thats not Linksys's falualt unless you ordered it direct from them. They cant controll if MacZone.com sends you over stock. Just update the firmware your self.

As for the DMZ, it has nothing to do with the OS that your running. All the DMZ does is put a system on your network on the front line and alow all ports to be talked to as if it was the only system on your network. You have to run a firewall on that system if you want to bolck ftp as and example.

Once I updated to the latest firmware on my linksys Wireless router, things got nothing but better. I can run DHCP and have static IP's (something that didnt work before the firmware upgrade) I have Mac's and PC's running OS9/OSX/98/2000/XP with no problems at all. I forward ports to any box I need to and maintain security to my primary box via a firewall on it. I run a hotline server so all the PC's on my network can get to my Primary Mac. (its cheeper and simpler than running Dave or something like that) I run an internal private Hotline server and block any requests for that port from non private IP's to my G4.

16. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Re: AmbitiousLemon

what comp do you run the hl server on?

i could never get my mac to see a server running on my pc, but it worked the other way around

17. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

What router did you get? Was it wireless or wired? the Lynksis router that I have, I plugged it in and it worked.

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Ditto on the Linksys BESFR41. Lemon, buddy, the thing did come with a manual. ;) I stopped using my Linksys because I wanted multiple static IP addresses to be truly public, so I'm just using a plain switch (also a Linksys) and securing each machine individually. For most people, however, something like the Linksys is absolutely the way to go.

19. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Same. I have the 4 port, and its perfect.

20. gernb macrumors regular

not sure what kind of intricacies you are looking for in a sub $100 router/cable hub.

i am a freakin' idiot and i have had great luck with the BEFSR41.

set up was easy and the thing is working perfectly, however i am not using it to connect a web server, etc.

no software needed...simply use ie or another browser to login and set preferences. guess i assumed they didn't include pictures and a step by step set up for the mac because they knew we'd be able to figure it out on our own.

apparently you have to add TCP/IP functionality to Windows machines to get this router to work on them...not the case with macs as it's already loaded as a control panel.

anyway, for the love of god, give this piece of harware a chance!

21. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

router came. had old firmware on it that didnt work properly. so i had to upload new firmware. guess what you need a pc to do that. also while on the phone with the idiots they repeatedly tell you that they dont support macs, and they its not their job to get it working for me since i own a mac. thats what i mean by no mac support and no mac software. if you ever need to actually manage your router you have to do it with a pc. also when i was on tech support they couldnt figure out what was wrong and decided to tell me that the router doesnt work with my dsl modem (cant figure it out blame it on the other guy) and started to try to convince me to buy their dsl modem. this is just a ****ty company that doesnt care about mac users or any customers. if you have a mac its just an incredible pain to set this up since you need windows to do it. i think a mac user would be much better going with any other company as all the rest have mac support.

22. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

RE: AmbitiousLemon ~ JAVA

the problem with the Firmware was that it uses a java applet to transfer it. I did have problems with it at first but they were resoved with the latest beta version of java support for netscape. And there needs to be faster and better updating of the OS X browers. If I remeber right, I used my OS 9 Netscape4.7 to to the firmware upgrade at the time.

As for the tech suport that only suports windows. Unfortuanly that sounds like most tech suport. They read from a script and are most likely not even computer users let alone a crossplat form user. I know that Linksys does not support macs with tech support and they dont have drivers for their wirless cards ether. When you said that linksys didnt suport Mac's, I thought you ment the router didnt support Mac's. The router does, just not the vender

23. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

there si no way to send firmware to the router with a mac. they use a .exe file to send the firmware.

and the whole not being able to turn off the firewall bothers me. i dont need or want a firewall but it seems i am stuck with one. sure i can use the dmz host thing but obviously that only works for one computer. my other machines are firmly stuck behind an iron curtain.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You CAN update it from a Mac, just download the MacTFTP Client software and do it that way.

As for choice in routers, I haven't used the Linksys personally, but I was able to use it at my sister's place as well as configure it using my Mac laptop without issue.

Personally, I love my Airport Base Station, which does everything the router does, except with one LAN port. I have the LAN port on mine connecting to a Netgear 8 port switch. Works beautifully for both Mac's and peecee's as well as network printers. :D

25. Choppaface macrumors 65816

when i updated my Linksys router's firmware i used my pc, but the control panel thingy also has an upload form where you upload the file right to the router, so I dunno if it would work on a mac, but I wouldn't be surprized if it worked. I think they even recommend in the manual to upload it instead of using the little pc-proggie thingy

as to setting it up with a mac, I haven't tried this, but this here might work:http://www.methodshop.com/games/features/cableShare/index.stm

I've never had a problem so far with my router, although it is kinda annoying when my stuff gets re-IPed occasionally...cuz then I have to reset my printer and everything.

as far as the firewall goes, does it even have one? I thought it required zone alarm for that? cuz it certainly hasn't stopped me from doing anything...