Help with Case Modding

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by themadchemist, Aug 22, 2003.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hi guys.

I've got a G4 400Mhz Gigabit Ethernet.

There are two case mods that I'd like to do. Once is adding a 5" LCD into the front panel like another G4 modder has done before. His instructions weren't terribly clear and I was wondering if anyone knows what would be necessary to do this.

Also, I'd like to add some backlighting with LEDs to the Apple sign either on the left or on the front. What I want to do is either have a controller that alternates between different colored lights or have a console installed so that I can select which colored light I want (with a three-choice or four-choice switch).

I have never done a case mod before and have no idea about anything at all.

Does anyone know how this might be possible and can anyone provide very dumbed down instructions & explanations? Thanks!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

have you checked xlr8yourmac.com?

Also when you start doing it you might want to take pics as you go and definitely post some here.

Good luck!

D

3. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Man... he is gonna mess up his G4 so badly...

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That all depends. If you find the right equipment, know your way around a soldering iron, and get the right directions its not that tough.

Now if he's never done any electrical work, well.....;) :eek:

D

5. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

RIGHT, but I do have lots of engineering friends at school & PC friends who have modded like crazy to help out, as well.

And I've always been a champ at finding out about things. Anyway, I'm planning to get a G5 soon, so this is just an experiment that I'll take my time with.

I figure, there's a first for everything and if I'm afraid to mess up, I'll never learn anything.

Rezet: ehh, you're probably right. :D But we'll see. I know a little E&M, though its not my favorite subject.

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Check out applefritter.com. They've got some wild G4 mods, and with instructions and photos to boot!:cool:

7. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

tell you what, if you accidentally ruin the case, send me evrything that was inside it, youll have yer g5 soon anyway:D ill make a lego case or something ;)

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

if u ruin the case give it to me...i am still on a g3 system :(

9. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

It's hard for me to grasp the concept of case modification. It sits under, on, or next to your desk. No one sees it but you every day and any visitors you might have. Modifying a portable is another story though - as you could park your rear end just about anywhere with it.