Help with choosing a console

Discussion in 'Games' started by imacintel, Sep 4, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

I want a console, I am not sure which one. I am really debating on a PS2, Wii, or Xbox 360. I don't want a Game Cube because i think they will be going obseletes soon.

2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

GameCube and PS2 are pretty much obsolete already. And from your remaining choices:

XBOX 360 - Amazing graphics.
    Wii - Incredible new control mechanism. (And it's quite inexpensive!)

Daniel.

3. Doug3847 macrumors newbie

Wait for thw Wii! From what I hear it will have a better gaming experience, with the new controller.:cool:

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Skip consoles and support PC /Mac gaming. Give yourself another gig of ram and that iMac should be just fine. You can get a lot of games for the price of a console.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The PS2 is also going to be outdate(not obselete, if you havn't played it, and some games have tons of replay value just like the GameCube), but Wii and PS3 will play GameCube games(Wii), and some PS2/PS1 games(PS3).

Its all about what games interest you..are you a classic gamer? If so the Wii will offer you old Sega games, NES, SNES and N64 games to buy from online. Do you want to feel like your "in" the games? Wii and PS3 have motion sensors in them. So you just want a Next-Gen Console today? xBox 360 Do you want Halo 3? xBox 360 has it.

Its all about your personal wants

6. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I would wait for the Wii to be available, and make a decision then.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

you will have a hard time finding a non-nintendo bias around here :eek: , but that being said i would go for the Wii if you wanna wait till it comes out (and if you can find one), or the PS2. PS2 has tons of games, and will still have some more coming out for a while (mmm god of war 2) not to mention its like 120 bucks and greatest hits games are cheap too.

8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Depends what you want-
    Awesome graphics- XBOX 360
    Awesome gameplay- Wii
    I don't really know why the ps2 is in with this crowd, its not even next gen...
    Also, you have to look at price
    360- $400
    Wii- $200? $250? something along those lines
    PS2- $120
    Also consider that many people have had problems with their PS2s breaking (especially the disk read error). So if you got that i would reccomend a warranty. Some people have also had problems with their 360s being defective.
    In my experiences with nintendo, their consoles are pretty solid.
    Also, what kind of games do you like?
    first person shooters (go with the 360)
    innovative games (go with the wii)
    or if you want a massive library to choose from the ps2 has tons of games
    Finally, you have to decide if you want to have online
    XBOX live is the best
    PS2 online isn't very good compared to XBOX live
    don't know anything about wii online

9. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to do with the wii. There were some GameCube games I would still like to play(crazy taxi, the sims, etc.) so I think I want a Wii. One disadvantage is that the Wii can't play DVDs, so that is annoying. The only Game Console I have ever had is a NES, And it's broken now. I never was a big video game fan, but I got into it.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

it can play dvds, you just need to buy an adaptor for it (pulling a MS-style cash grab)

11. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Good choice on the Wii. If you wanted to get a gamecube orginally you are lucky cause Wii will play all of the gamecube games (at least I hope so, not this "backwards compatability" Of microsoft, I got Psychonauts and I'm still waitinf to play it on my 360!). AND if your last console was NES, then you can catch up on all the awesome Nintendo games you missed with the virtual console! Good luck!

12. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I believe the scientific term is "dongle." You have to buy a "dongle." :)

Daniel.

13. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I belive you want a concole;)

I am going for the wii, because of the prce and becuase it looks really fun!

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you were to get a 360 it would have to be after the PS3 launch, or until the system gets going. Some competition would be good for us consumers.

I'd say the Wii, though I am tempted to buy a 360. The whole virtual console thing has me going.

oh, and for the same price as RAM for my Mac I could buy a Wii ;) so no Mac/PC gaming please. I want something vaguely affordable, and new. PC gaming is just the same old. Oh, another FPS. I want to use that new controller and a mass library of games that support it.

AND NO TWILIGHT PRINCESS ON PC/MAC :p :p :p I mean seriously, this game has been in development for an ungodly number of years and it's a launch title. I can't think of any other time this has happened. It is simply going to melt every other game (going off demo player reviews).

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Emulators+roms on a pc/mac will crush whatever Nintendo comes up with. Those classic games aren't going to be free with the Wii...

16. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

but you can't run those roms legally if you don't have the game, and if you do have it, you probably wouldn't want to anyway.

virtual console titles will probably be just a couple dollars each, depending on what console the were originally for. most people probably wont even download enough to equal the price of one wii game. That plus the utter crappiness of any pc/mac n64 emulation thus far, i'd say it's a hell of a deal.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's illegal, compatability isn't 100%, the setup isn't as streamlined or as easy to use, you can't play it with anything resembling the original controller easily...etc.

That's like saying BitTorrent will crush whatever Apple comes up with (iTunes).

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you mean PS2, well, it's going to be obsolete as quickly as the GameCube (or almost so). If you meant PS3, it's too expensive.

I'd personally say Wii- it can play the whole GameCube library you missed with GameCube controllers, plus you have the new experiences with the Wiimote and the old-school console game downloads.

And it's cheaper than any other new system.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Get whatever attracts you.....may it be the PS3, Wii or the PS2 because they will be making games for that system for a good while.

Bless

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

21. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

It seems like you're not exactly a hard core gamer so a Wii would probably suit you best.

Or a DS maybe? They have great simple games on that system.

If you want a Sony fix, a PS2 would be nice. A crapload of games at cheap prices.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

running off current prices-

Gamecube console - £60. games - £9-30
    PS2 console - £100. games - £20-30
    Wii console* - £150. games - £30-40
    360 console - £270. games - £30-50

if it helps any...

the cheapest is the Cube, but the Wii is coming out and it's 100% backwards compatible to the extent it even has a GC memory card and controller slot. but again, it's quite cheap but will the next couple of Wii-less months be worth £60 to say you're not a hardcore gamer?

I was about to buy a PS2 the other day until I was told "only a fool would buy a PS2 right now". They're likely to have a price drop after the PS3 comes out.

360. Expensive and had a slightly dull start, but it's picking up somewhat now. but at that price only buy if you have a HDTV and broadband connection, else just buy a regular Xbox. If Dead Rising is anything to go off, devs seem to dismiss SDTV owners as the text is illegible in 640i/p.

23. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Get what you want. Look into what games are coming out and if there a particular set of exclusives you are leaning toward or are interested in go wiht the console that will have the games you want not the the mindless stats. I still only own a xbox and have not upgraded but I am VERY intrigued by Mass Effect, BioShock, Twilight Princess, Splinter Cell, BIA:Hell's Highway, and Halo3. Even though almost all of these games are x360 I will have wii before that. Even though he is not the bigdraw for nintendo this fall I am still wanting to play Mario Galaxy - it's mario.

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think there's a reason for that. Not everyone is going to want to use the Wii (or the XBox) as a DVD player, but if you're using it for that purpose, Nintendo or MS has/had to pay the licensing fees. If you only buy the dongle, Nintendo and MS only have/had to pay licensing fees on each dongle. It probably ends up being a cash saving decision rather than a cash making decision.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/editorial.php?editorialid=2