help with christmas gift (for me)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by twoodcc, Dec 21, 2006.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, my parents are going to spend around the $200 range on me. what should i get?

my ps2 is broken, but i really only play one game (gran tursimo 4). i have an xbox 360

i thinking about a camera. this one :
    http://www.casio.com/products/Cameras/Exilim_Card/EX-S600EO/

i actually got this one tonight, but i could still return it. was gonna see what ya'll thought about it.

2. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

3. acoustics940 macrumors member

I have one of those also it is a really nice camera

4. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Not really, but ...........

I suppose you could get a RED ipod as Apple make a donation to a good cause each time one is sold.

Any way ..... happy Christmas from Ireland

Dave :)

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

You could always save the money until there is something you know you want instead of relying on people you don't know to tell you what to get.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You should check dpreview.com for reviews/opinions of the camera. I have another model of a Casio camera and it works fine, no problems from my side.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

My sister has one of these cameras too (or very similar), got it last year for Christmas, I have been using it a lot this week, it is a very nice camera, makes me jealous.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't like Casio cameras. where does Casio get off making cameras and why would people buy from them instead of HP, Sony, Kodak, or Canon? i understand Casio is an electronics company, but there are so many better (IMO) products out there from reputable camera companies.

if you can't think of anything, the best thing to do is save the money for when you see something you want, or for when you need it.

9. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

Kodak, Canon, or Nikon I could see, but HP and Sony have no more right in the camera-making business than Casio does.

10. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I agree, I have an HP digi cam that really sucks :(

11. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

HP computers: suck
    HP cameras: suck (the Wal-Mart special sucks big time)
    HP printers: OK, for now

I have a relative that used to be a Jr. Exec. for HP and he said he had to buy other brands because HP quality had gone down so much. He said he was somewhat ashamed.

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This camera (Olympus SP-350), at that price ($199), (or, alternatively if you can stand the silver body and need a stronger zoom, the SP-510UZ at $220) seems like a bargain... :)

Both are point-and-shoot, but with some advanced options, like manual focus... :)

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I hate to be a downer, OP, but I do agree w/ buffalo. Why not wait until there's something you really want? It's so much more gratifying getting a gift you've desired for awhile.

14. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Funny. He probably didn't realize he was asking this question in the Buying Advice forum. Silly OP :p

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The waiting advice forum seems really dead.

16. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Are you kidding? That's most of the site. "OMG... a rumor of new MacBooks in nine months... I just bought a MacBook... what should I do? Oh, Jesus I feel so screwed :("

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehe, fair enough. And those threads do definitely irk me. :(

18. buffalo macrumors 65816

In my opinion, the Buying Advice forum is for advice... Should I get X,Y, or Z? Should I get this configuration of X? What do you think of Y? Not tell me how to spend $200. The OP did ask about cameras, which he / she has gotten some advice on, but to ask other people how to spend your money just seems dumb.

Wait until you have something you truly want. It's not as though money will be going out of style any time soon. It's O.K. to save.

19. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the replies everyone.

the reason i'm asking this (instead of just taking the money) is b/c it won't be the same on christmas morning with just money. i know i'm getting older, but i still like the christmas mood and spirit.

20. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Buy a .mac subscription and a iPod shuffle with the balance :)

21. Queso macrumors G4

Get your parents to donate the lot to some worthwhile charity like a soup kitchen for the homeless. If you really can't think what to do with $200, give it to someone who really needs it.

22. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

even though that would be a good thing to do, i don't find that the best advice. it looks like you didn't read the whole thread

23. Queso macrumors G4

Well to be honest, all I got was you talking about Stuff™, mostly Stuff™ that you've already got in one form or another. Why ask for possessions you don't really want? :confused:

24. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Well, $200 is such a middle of the road number. Can't you ask your folks for a bigger figure like at least $500 or $1000? Then, there would be more options to get nice goodies.

25. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

You're not serious?