Help With Copying Music CD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NSiebenmor, Jul 18, 2005.

1. NSiebenmor macrumors member

This is a stupid question, but since I just switch from a PC to a Powermac I'll ask anyway. I'm having trouble copying and burning a music cd. What I did was drag the files from the orignal cd to a new folder on the desktop. I then put in the blank disc and dragged the files into it and then dragged that to the trash can and burned it. However when I put the cd into a cd player it won't play it only shows track1 but doesn't play any music. I can open the cd and it shows that all the files are there, so I don't know what the problem is? Can someone help me? Thanks

Nick

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You want to use the application Disk Utility, which is in the Utilities folder on your Mac. Once you run Disk Utility, these are the directions to duplicate the CD, from the Disk Utility help:

Hope it helps? :)

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Import it into iTunes (create a special playlist if thats easier) then click burn in the top right. Make sure you've changed iTunes->Preferences->Burning to Audio CD. Easy. You can import it at various bit rates which you can choose through Prefs-> Importing. Doing it the way you've done creates a data disc IIRC

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

To burn a Music CD you should use iTunes or a 3rd party tool like Toast. Toast is the easiest, because that has a Copy Disk option, which basically lets you copy a CD with one click. Using iTunes involves importing the CD first (preferably with a lossless encoder like aiff, wav or Apple Lossless) and then making a playlist and burn that.

You can also copy any CD by using Disk Utility but that involves making a disk image of the CD and then burning that image back to a CD-R.

I strongly recommend Toast for copying CDs. :)

Edit: Beaten twice... :eek: But at least I had one point that wasn't taken... ;)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, Nickygoat's recommendation also works, but I am not sure it will necessarily create a completely identical copy of the original disc, even with lossless encoding, because the track lengths might be slightly different. But probably, for 99% of cases, it would also work just fine.