Help with corporate switcher

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lollypop, May 14, 2006.

1. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I need some help guys,

Ive been tasked with evaluateing Apples "PC's" for the company. The new CIO of our company is seen as a bit of a revolutionary, to date I havnt liked it, but now im his biggest fan! Im not sure yet what exactly they want from the evaluation or where they are thinking of deploying Macs but I would really apreciate any sort of cannon fodder that I can use to push for macs in the meeting that is set a few hours from now. As soon as I know what exactly the deal is I will let you guys know.

Thanks in advance!

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

No virus drawbacks. You can run Windows as well if you have to (bootcamp or parallel's) if certain software is an issue. Stability, less need for IT, no solitaire...

3. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am actually dying to go to a meeting today! :D The thing im worried about is support, we only have a distributer here in SA, not a official apple presense, when our dulls need support someone is here in a flash, dont know if "Apple SA" can say the same.

4. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Just came out of the meeting. It seems the new CIO used a Mac at his previous position, and wants to use it here as well. Based on this I’m assuming that he will want to run OS x as well, not just one of those bootcamp "look at my pretty hardware running XP" people. The thing is that the team that supports senior managements IT resources will need training, any suggestions? Thinking OS X essentials, Help desk essentials and security best practices (the company is security mad, spends millions on it).

Want to try go on the training as well, even if it’s not really necessary for my daily functionality!

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

The Apple Business site should be able to at least get you started and working out some of the switching/educating stuff

6. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

We have recieved a long list of applications (approximately 50 applications) that are currenly being run and with a few exceptions I have found a match, I have done a online search for each application and its either been discontinued or there isnt enough info for me to find a mac alternative. Can anyone help with finding an alternative for:

1.) Attachmate Extra Personal Client (Enterprise 7.11)
    2.) EntireX
    3.) Natural Runtime
    4.) Outlook SMS - toolbar that integrates with outlook and allows sms messages to be sent, custom numbers and numbers in the global address book. I know there are alternatives but none that integrate this close into mail or entourage.
    5.) Afrikaans Spellchecker - have not been able to find any details if Mac OS X actually supports the afrikaans language in its spel checking facilities. Will MS word also support any Mac OS X language packs?

Thanks in advance!