Help with dead iBook (urgent please)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jonnySkyman, May 6, 2005.

1. jonnySkyman macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am posting this on behalf of my dum brother, who for some unknown reason lifted up the keyboard of his G4 iBook whist the machine was on.
    The iBook crashed and will not now restart. He says that when he presses the power button he gets a flicker across the screen and nothing more.

I talked him through the obvious things,Pram reset, PMU reset battery on and off but nothing seems to work.

Do you guys have any ideas? What will removing the keyboard do whilst the machine is on? Has he fried it?

Please help as he is calling me every ten minutes as he sees me as a Mac genius because i have been using one for about 2 years!!!

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

No- I used to do that with my TiBook and my G3 iBook all the time and never had any problems. Did he do anything other than just opening the keyboard? He didn't pull anything out, did he?

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

In the instructions for inserting RAM, Apple goes to a lot of detail to safeguard the computer from static, and from starting up while you have the keyboard off and are touching sensitive guts like the AE card and memory etc. I would be afraid that he did fry his machine from his own static touch. Either that or some other grounding issue.

Of course, you could always call Apple.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When he lifted the keyboard, how hard did he pull? Are you sure that the keyboard / trackpad connector cable is still firmly plugged in? Might be worth it to unscrew the support around the AE card and make sure about this.

But yes, I pulled my keyboard off during this very post, to try and see what could be b0rk'd back there, and so it is certainly possible to do without destroying an iBook! :D