Help with dialup config

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nocannothave, Feb 27, 2007.

1. nocannothave macrumors newbie

I have a customer with OS 10.3.9 and a dialup connection.

In the Network pane, we have "Location": Home and "Show": Network Status selected. My setup guide says to use "Location": Automatic and "Show": Internal Modem. When the customer changes to Automatic, Internal Modem is not an option. She displays ethernet 2 VPN connections and Windows PPTP. When Home, Internal Modem is available, but the connection never negotiates. The error is "could not negoatiate a ppp connection with the remote ppp server".

I'm hoping for some advice, please! I don't really know if we should remove the extra conenctions under Automatic, or how to add Interal Modem to the Automatic location.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Have you tried setting up a new location in the network pane of system preferences, and selecting internal modem? Just a thought. Are you trying to do this remotely over the phone with the customer, or are you in front of their computer?

3. nocannothave thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't tried setting up a new location. How is that done, please?

This support is over the phone, also.

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network

Change Location 'Automatic' to 'New Location' ; give it a name.

Change Show 'Network Status' to 'Internal modem'

Coomplete the forms: I haven't got an internal modem, so I can't see exactly what appears, but I think there are four tabs to it: PPP, TCP/IP, proxies, and modem settings. PPP needs service provider, number to dial, username/password etc., and has some PPP optionss; TCP/IP has 'connect using' > ppp. and so on.

5. nocannothave thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. I didn't realize it was that easy to make a new location.

Thanks for the tips.

6. Gee macrumors 65816

Any joy? Fix it?

7. nocannothave thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm off work until Friday. Another tech may have done it by then, but I will update. :cool: