help with file sharing in jag...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Sep 18, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Okay I just configured a "software base station" thanks to the help of you guys.

Now im trying to share files between two macs. How do I do this the right way. I have figured out to turn on apple talk and file sharing on both puters etc. etc. I have figured out to go to Go then connect to server etc. etc. I have the other comupters (server one) icon up on the one sharing.... but everytime I drop files and such in the servers icon or open it up and drop in there it says that that server (its says its name actually) cannot be modified.... etc. etc. and the same thing for when I drop it in the drop box.

Can anyone help? Also I got in by clicking on "guest" because I dont know how to set up a password to get under there under "registered user" .... this could be the problem... i dont know... help yo!

2. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay i can retrieve files from the server if its put in the public folder but i cannot put files into the server.... it still says so and so cannot be modified. when i try to open up the drop box on the server from my computer it says i dont have sufficent access privlages.

so in a nut shell i want to be able to share files back and forth between the server and other computer without any problems.

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i know there is someone a out there who understands this crap.

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

If you are the admin of the server, you can use your user name and account password (on the server) to log on with admin privileges.

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

errmmmm... sounds problematic ..:confused:
    Have you tried to add a user on each computer with Log/PW guest/guest and log in on that account? Though its not wireless, it worked here... eliminates some access rights issues.

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey thanks guys. i some how got it to work. i did not get on using ssh (whatever that is...if someone can explain it to me that be great).... instead i just plugged in the ip address on the connect to sever window and it worked. apparently there is different addreses you have to type in using the same ip numbers of course to get onto the server to do different things... like if you are on a wondows machine and you want to share with a mac you have to type in a different addy or if you just want to access the server on trough ftp or if you want to access only site files etc. etc. ... only the first part of the addy is changed then continued by the same ip address. it shows you the different addys under system prefs>sharing>services tab by clicking on the different services... it shows at the bottom...and it says something like

"Other Macintosh users can access your computer at afp://10.0.2.2/"

thats one of them.

anyways... thanks.

7. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Make sure that you have created accounts on both machines. You will need to name each computer, the user, and set a password. Then, make sure that the folders, etc., that you want to share have the right priveledges by selecteing the folders or directories, and doing an Apple-I on them and going to "Permissions". If you click on the hard drive icon and do this, you can set permissions for the entire volume, but I wouldn't do that, just for security. When you try to log into the other computer through the "Connect to Server", at the prompt, enter or select the name of the computeryou eant to access. If you have set up the accounts above, you can log in with your password, and use any file that you have designated as "sharable" on the "server" computer on the remote computer.

Gus

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

don't think you need appletalk anymore....since you're doing it over TCP/IP now

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

just use unix filesharing.

afp is actually going to be slow in OS X, esp compared to 9. they are basically piggybacking afp support on tcp/ip, which isnt the best as far as performance goes.

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im not using tcp/ip im using ethernet.

also how does one hook up unix filesharing?