Help with FilePlanet?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I want to download a file from fileplanet. But I can't do that! I haven't subscribed to fileplanet. But I am a member. That means that I can download the files contained herein (when I provide my password of course) but only using the low-speed servers.

Anyway, my problem is that when I try to start the download, a popup window starts, which is the one I show below.

1)I tried with Firefox and it didn't work.
    2)I tried Internet explorer for Mac and didn't work either.
    3)Tried with Safari, didn't work!

I don't have a windows machine... What can I do?

Attached Files:

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

And right/ctrl-clicking on the link and saving doesn't work? That's odd. Never had any problems with it.

Try searching the Games forum. I believe someone had the same problem some time ago.

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well, i tried everything... And I can't get it to work.

Note that some months ago, I had downloaded some files from fileplanet....But it seems like the site has changed.

What can I do? Please, can you confirm that you are able to download the file?

I want to download this one.

http://www.fileplanet.com/59734/download/Rune-v1.07-Patch

4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i have the same problem with fileplanet i tryed to download a demo and the window poped up but saying bla bla windows bla bla pc bla cla windows ie. so i fired off a e-mail to the customer support here is what i got back

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to email us your feedback on this. It's
    certainly
    appreciated! The programming team is reviewing the situation and we do
    appreciate you letting us know. We are looking into an issue with Mac
    downloads. Please be patient while we look into this.

i dunno what they are going to do but what gets me is that they have macintosh software to download from them but macintosh is not supported the best bet is to fire off a complaint e-mail about the problem as i did saying why do you have macintosh files demos and games to download but u dont support why would a windows pc want to download a demo for mac a pc cant use mac software like they have
    ill give u all the e-mail address for customer support
    fileplanet@support.igngamespy.com
    and this is the guy that e-mailed me back his name is Harry Vansickle
    wolfblade@spyder.gamespy.com

5. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

This is my e-mail to their customer support. I am cuurious to see what they are going to tell me....

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've successfully downloaded from FilePlanet in the past. Just tried it then, but couldn't get on due to full servers. I might try again later if I have nothing to do.

Edit: In the meantime, you could always get the patch from here :)

7. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Well first off the control for downloading IS ActiveX meaning its Windows only no Mac, I'm surprised that no one in here caught that. Also you can click on the public que link towards the bottom of the instructions and still download the file I dont see what the big problem is.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The "big problem" is that you get an error when you click that link.

9. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Hey, thanks! That saved me a lot of time!

You rock, man!

10. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

but still file planet should allow mac's to download from there site since they have mac software there to i mean what is a pc going to do with the macintosh ver of a given game if they dont want to allow mac's to download from there servers then y do they have mac stuff there.it just buggs the crap right out of me. u would figure since its ran buy game spy that it would support all computers pc,mac and linux alike but they dont.and they need to get more complaints till they fix the problem

11. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I'm not sure what sort of error everyone’s referring to, maybe if someone could post the actual error message since I normally just click on the queue and it sits there in line.

12. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

ok here we go im trying to get the 4x4 evo demo for mac i dont need it know cause i already have it but im doing this for a test and to tellu all what it say's

Unable to install the file planet download control
    possable reasons......
    *the control requires internet Explorer 5 or highter running on windows 9X/NT4/2000/xp
    *if you are running NT,xp or 2000 you must have admin privilages
    *Your internet settings do not allow activeX plugins to be downloaded
    *You declined to install the contorl on the previous screen

then it say's
    Click here to to continue to the public queue!

To download ,click the link above.for movie files,right click and choose "Save-As".

ok i click on the link
    it now say's
    HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
    i have even control clicked on it and apple key click and no go

13. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I encountered that as well but mine said something about the file not being found instead of Forbidden, I just kind of dismissed it as the file actually not being on a public server.

14. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

oh its there alright they are just not alowing us mac useres to have accses to the mac and multi platform game files like mods for games like ut-ut 2004 and other mods and mis files they are there.people need to send them complaints cause of it for crying out lout its game spy the people that run game servers for pc and mac's and for other systems but why not the files to i dunno they just need to be kicked in the ass to make them start fully supporting the mac.
    just like yahoo with there junk ass port of the im that has noware near the stuff that the pc ver has and the same goes with msn im and a few other sites and launchcast. well whats up with these people.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It appears that standards exist for the sole purpose of being ignored :mad:

I can't claim to be perfect though, my sites aren't very standards-compliant, but at least they work on IE/Safari/Fox (and probably others).

16. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

people just need to start fireing off complaints to them to try to get this problem fixed hell theres tons of macintosh users here to fire off a complaint to get them to start alowing the mac users of the world to download from there site. i mean come on they have mac software there but u cant download it from there cause mac's arnt supported comeon thats just plane out stupid specialy for some one like gamespy that host servers for games for all platforms

17. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

They answered to my problem with a very stupid e-mail:

Just go inside and look at the links they showed me. You won'tt find even a tiny bit of information to solve the problem. In one link they say that they support Firefox for mac for downloads, but it doesn't work!

That e-mail gave me such generic answers that I even felt offended!

18. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

why in the hell are they giving us macintosh user's the run around. hell they are suposed to support every platform that playes on there servers. fileplanet is ran by gamespy and gamespy is owned be ign so what gives with these pricks. i guess they all just dont want to support the mac platform witch is stupid cause they also have mac software on there servers so why cant the macintosh get the software that was made for mac off those servers and why dont they make them compatable with macintosh so i can. why in the hell is a pc user going to dl mac software. they need to kick it in the ass and give us some support