Help with G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sauron's Master, Aug 21, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Apparently, my power strip that my computer equipment was connected to somehow got unplugged. That alone shouldn't be a problem but rather than recovering from the power outage as normal, my G5 is a sort of comatose state. The power light on the front still indicates that it's on; there's no flashing though. If I press the power button on the monitor, the same result occurs. Keyboard doesn't respond and reseting the power again also has no effect. Fans remain off constantly and I've checked all the internal components to make sure that they're securely seated in their slots. Does anyone have a clue as to what the cause of this malfunction is?

Hypothetically, could I take it to the AppleStore (I ordered the computer in late July, shipped 9/23, and received 9/25 without additional support options) and have it checked up for free? Potentially fixed for free?Anyone know the relative cost for repairs at an AppleStore (ie, cheaper or more expensive than other Apple-Authorized dealers)?

Computer:

Dual 2.0 GHz G5 (Rev. A)
    Stock 2x256MB RAM
    160 GB HD
    Radeon 9800
    OS X 10.3.5

2. macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

If you received it September 25th last year you should still have a little over a month of your 1 year AppleCare warranty left. Call Apple and book it in for a repair, they'll have you take it into a local reseller or Apple store for repair, should be free.

And consider buying AppleCare depending on what the problem is.

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I wouldn't mention the whole power-cord-came-unplugged thing unless you have to, though. Unplugging the power shouldn't fry the system. But... Apple might find a way to blame you for it anyway.

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I actually didn't get a chance to read replies before going to the AppleStore but they reset the PMU and it works now minus some HD data loss.

6. macrumors 6502

As you now know resetting the PMU on the logic board is a good place to start for power problems. Exittoshell.com that Sun Baked refers to has the steps to follow. He does mention leaving the power cord plugged in, this is incorrect. You will need to unplug it.

Good advise non the less.

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually he tells you to leave it in -- until you discharge the static charge you hold, then unplug it.

On a metal shelled computer the advice really isn't needed, but on some of the plastic boxed machines you can still have a charge after unplugging the machine.

Everybody always misses the unplug the machine part.

He should really have highlighted it.

8. macrumors 6502

Your right I did miss that. :) I always suggest removing the power plug before opening the computer. Then touch the metel on the caseing to discharge. This will create a relative gound to the computer and reduce the chance of missing that critial step of unplugging the computer.