Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Have a new Macbook Air 13 with El Capitan and an old HP 6520 Photosmart Printer. Tried to print a photo with the Mac today for the first time, and could not figure out how to select the printer tray. Finally discovered that probably I need the appropriate printer driver, so I downloaded one from HP (first time for that, too) which was up through a couple OS releases ago. Still can't find where to locate the printer tray selection. Don't really want to call HP because (1) service agreement has expired and (2) I managed to burn my bridges with them over why the service agreement expired. Would appreciate some input on what I might do.

It also comes to me that I might be shopping for a new printer. Would like suggests on one that is good for home use, photos, can copy and does scans. And, obviously, one for a Mac. Epson WorkForce?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
I have had great luck with Brother multi-function laser printers. Their Mac support is excellent.

For serious photography, though, most people use Epson inkjets.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I have had great luck with Brother multi-function laser printers. Their Mac support is excellent.

For serious photography, though, most people use Epson inkjets.
Thank you! Doubt that I qualify as a serious photographer. Would want nice quality photos. Would use the machine for photos, printing documents and a bit of scanning. Have looked on-line at some Epson ink jets but forget the model series at the moment.

As to my HP problem, Apple Care was going to see if they could help, but lost the connection. Maybe, just maybe I accidentally figured it out myself. But have to wait till later to see.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
There should be a setting in the print dialogue box to select the paper tray.

You really have to make a choice between an ink jet and a black and white laser. Lasers are not much more expensive to buy, but are much, much cheaper to run in the long run because toner is so much cheaper than ink jet cartridges.

But if you want to print photos, you need an inkjet.

Personally, I have both. 90% of my printing is on the laser multifunction. I have an ink jet that I use only for photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.