Help with iChat and doing 3 way video chat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by illest813, Dec 14, 2006.

1. illest813 macrumors member

Oct 5, 2006
    Hello - i have a question. I am trying to do 3 way video chat's with my friends, and I cant. Furthermore, alot of my friends cant even video chat with me - i have a brand new c2d mbp, and my own router that only I use so my bandwith should be fine. For some reason, it says my computer is not capable of starting a 3 way video chat when i try to invite two people, and half of hte time i do regular one way chats it says there was a communication error. Does anyone know what causes this/how to fix this? Thanks
  2. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    sorry, i don't have a solution, but i encounter similar problems. Often, when i'm in a one-way video chat, the plus-sign is "dulled out" so that i can't press it. I guess it's a bandwidth issue, but i'm using my college's high-speed internet; is there faster? can anyone do 4-way video chat?
  3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    video chatting in iChat blows. i've used it for one on one many times but not multiple people. They advertise the 3 way chat like it's easy, but I've yet to get it to work, or talk to someone that has. I've shelved iChat/aim and use Skype. For 3 way chats....SOL?
  4. MacMan314 macrumors newbie

May 5, 2004
    I can do 3 way chats no problem on my Macbook Pro. Never tried 4 way, since only 2 of my friends have new macs with the integrated iSight. All I need to do is hold command to select multiple people in the buddy list, then click on the video button at the bottom.

Works like a charm for me.