Help with iMac 333 with new MCE Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wkrp, Jun 21, 2004.

1. wkrp macrumors newbie

Hello!

I just bought a Combo drive from MCE Tech. It will read DVDs, but I have no clue how to get it to play them. I run OS 9.2.2, with 192 meg RAM. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The OS has an application called "DVD Player". It should open automatically when you insert a DVD. Check your applications folder if it doesn't. If it's not there you ought to be able to get it from your OS install disk.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Imac 333 mhz machines did not come with DVD drives, so the software won't be there, on the machine or the install disks.

Thing is though, MCE doesn't sell a DVD drive for the tray loaders that I can see, just for slot loaders. They only sell a CD-RW drive for the tray loaders (though it is a slot loading replacement). So either you actually have a 350 mhz machine with a slot loading drive, or you have a 333 mhz machine and not a DVD drive. I doubt the tray loading iMacs could handle playing DVD, their video cards were pretty weak.

4. wkrp thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.mcetech.com/imacrw.html

This is what I bought. It's a Combo-esque drive--will burn CDs, but will also read DVDs. I tried installing Apple DVD Player from my OS9 system disk, with no luck. I can barely open even a small VOB file with QT Player. I can certainly see why a 333 couldn't run fast enough to actually display anything much, but figure I can at least try. Since I bought the drive solely for reading and burning CDs, the DVD reading is an unexpected bonus anyhow.

Thanks!

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It didn't come with 9.2.2 either, so I'm assuming he has a retail OS 9 disk.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I don't think OS ( came with it either, it didn;t on my retail OS 9 disk.

Anyway, you're right, I didn't realize that this drive read DVD as well. If its meant for reading DVD movies, I'm sure mce can help you out. Otherwise I suppose you could try downloading the apple DVD player, but I really doubt the graphics card will up to the task or the software simply won't be compatible with it.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Graphics card has squat to do with playing movies. Apple's DVD player can be downloaded from versiontracker, and I imagine Apple too.

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Maybe you're right. I'd be intrigued if it actually worked anyway though. Those old iMacs were very underpowered (I know, I have one).

For what its worth, apple DVD player wouldn't install on my machine (rev A iMac). Maybe because it doesn't have the upgrade so there's no DVD player, or maybe because its checking the firmware for a compatible machine. Apple appears to be very specific about which machines it can install on according to the documentation.