Help With iMovie and Connecting Camera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oceanmonster, Jan 29, 2007.

1. oceanmonster macrumors regular

I cannot get my DV camera to connect to iMovie or Quicktime. Is there anyone out there who can help me. I am running iMovie 2006 and Quicktime 7 Pro and a JVC DV Camera model number GR-D72U. If anyone can help me connect my camera i would greatly appreciate it.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

How have you got it set up so far? What's not working?

3. oceanmonster thread starter macrumors regular

I have the camera in USB mode and plugged into my computer and then i try to import the video off the camera, but imovie does not see the camera when i try importing it in camera mode.

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

pick up a Firewire cord, usually around ten bucks. Make sure one end of the cord will fit in your camera adn the other end in your computer.

that will work.

5. oceanmonster thread starter macrumors regular

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

7. Kopachris macrumors newbie

I have the same camera and the same problem, but I don't want to buy a Firewire cable because the camera is the only thing that I'd use it for, and I won't use it very much. Is there an alternative to buying a firewire cable? My dad won't let me buy one and he won't buy one himself because he has the driver for Windows, but i want to do it on my Mac.

8. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

As far as I know, you HAVE to use firewire mode. I've never heard of anybody using USB mode to ingest video. USB is usually reserved for importing stills if your camcorder is so equipped. PLUS the camera has to be in VCR mode as well.

9. Kopachris macrumors newbie

Well, I guess i'll just have to either borrow a Firewire cable from my school, or I'll have to download the driver into Virtual PC. -_-

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yo gang! Just get the Firewire cable and save yourself the grief! Don't fight the law here -- Macs and DV are married to Firewire since day One.

If you need an inexpensive source, check www.monoprice.com

11. Kopachris macrumors newbie

Oh... If only my dad would let my get a PayPal account or something with my savings account. But no... a savings account is to save. He won't let me spend hardly any of my money:mad: . Then again, I spend all the money I can pretty much;) , so he has a pretty good reason. Whereas my lil bro is a complete miser and won't spend hardly any money at all. I brought up the idea of taking our parents out for dinner for their anniversary (Feb. 14) and splitting the cost 50/50, but he sounded insulted by that! He won't spend a mere 15-20 dollars on dinner for our parents anniversary! He has over $500 in his savings account while I only have $250. Sorry for getting off topic. That probably should have gone in a password-protected Word document entitled "journal.doc".:eek:

P.S. CanadaRAM, your sig's broken.