Help with Imovie to Idvd to Burn to DVD for TV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mac4t, Aug 7, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2008
    I hope someone can help me. I have created an imovie with photographs with transitions and titles. The movie is 2 hours long. I used the share to media browser to import into idvd. I used a template in idvd and applied my movie. On the preview the quality of the movie looks great. I choose the professional quailty for the burn. After the burn, my movie looks horrible. I need to show this movie on a DVD TV player. If idvd is not the answer for me, what is? No one at Apple has helped, yet. I think the compression from idvd stinks! Can someone give me some advice on this? Greatly appreciated.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2008
    I made a movie 2.5hrs long in FCE4 which looks horrible after quick time conversion. The movie is now too large for a SL disc so I bought some DL discs but idvd will not burn it! So annoying.
  3. macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2008

Please describe what exactly is wrong with the iDVD movie.

I have had problems with iMovie to iDVD recently that took me a while to resolve but I don't know if your problems are the same.

In my case the DVD produced by iDVD was interlaced and so I got horribly jumpy footage on my TV although it looked fine in preview in iDVD. My solution was to choose a non-obvious export setting in iMovie. I used Share/Export using Quicktime/Movie to Quicktime Movie and under options chose DV/DVPRO - NTSC, Current Frame rate, Medium Quality, Progressive, 16:9. I used no filters, and a size of 720x480 16:9, Letterbox. The resulting file imported into iDVD and produced non-interlaced (or at least non-jumpy :) footage.

Unfortunately I now had a different problem. iDVD refused to see these new files as 16:9. The template menus showed the correct ratio but when I selected and ran the actual movie it was squeezed into 4:3 format. This seems to be an ancient problem in iDVD (why Apple never fixed it is anyone's guess) and I resolved it finally by passing the exported DV/DVPRO files from iMovie through Anamorphicizer (also free) before reading into iDVD.

FINALLY I got a good DVD of my friends wedding from my HD source. I hope this helps you.

One more tip. Don't burn in iDVD, tell it to export an IMG file. It's faster than burning a damn coaster and you can mount the IMG and look at it in DVD Player to see if it's worth burning. I like the application Burn for making DVD's. I've even used it to make a DVD that my PS3 will play as HD... another story.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. The quality of the idvd burn played on a TV DVD player is very blurry and with wavy lines in some of the photos. All the photos used to make the slideshow/movie in imovie were of the highest quality jpeg. I just want to play my movie on a TV DVD player and it look like it does in imovie. Which is sharp and clear. I have gone thru all the steps the "genuises" at Apple have told me to do. To share the imovie thru the media browser and not to export as a QT movie. I have read thru tons of forums and this one too to try and get a resolution but have not yet read of how this can be done. But I have read where many people have tried to make a movie with Photographs and not video in imovie and are having the same problems. I have researched photo slideshow softwares (for mac) but none claim to be able to play on a TV. This can't be a first. Someone out there has to know how to do this. Please let me in on the secret if you know it. Thanks
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2008
    Well, I guess all the wizards on this forum are not so helpful. I guess they only answer the easy questions.