Help with installing 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stormyguy, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Stormyguy macrumors regular

Okay, I just picked up my copy of Tiger and have tried to install on my G4 powerbook. The installation has failed twice and i was offered the choice of restarting each time and trying again.

I have now tried to install instead on my G3 iMac but this appears to have failed as well. The installation just seems to be going forever with nothing happening (I'm not getting impatient and quitting or anything) - lots of 'hanging' and eventually again i get the chance to restart with the message 'Because of an error OSX could not be installed.....'. This last time though on the G3 I can't even get the machine to startup again - it's looking for a Startup disk.

Is it me, have I busted something? Is my DVD copy of Tiger possibly faulty? How do I get my G3 to startup again??

Thanks in advance for advice....

2. croshtique macrumors 6502

Sounds like a dodgy copy of Tiger to me...

Start up your iMac from its original system disks and run Disk First Aid or whatever. If it can't find a startup disk you'll probably have to reinstall whatever OS it came with to fix it.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....the usual questions: is this a real retail copy you picked up or "something else......have you made sure you have the latest firmware on the computers. To get the G3 booting again, try zapping the pram.....oh yeah!

4. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i'm thinkin' it prob is a duff copy.

i've got the G3 going again by putting the Tiger install DVD back in and restarting, it IS running the install but it's "Preparing the Disk" for a mighty long time - is that normal? The hard drive is 'chatting' but I'm pretty darn sure there's nothin happening?

thanks for the reply

5. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

lol, i just realised I was typing my reply and called my copy a 'duff' copy while you were posting - a coincidence!

The copy is legit, I'll try zap pram if I get stuck. I can see that going from 10.2 to 10.4 might be more involved but I'm surprised the PB didn't go smooth - thats why i think it's a dud copy - never had a single prob like this on the PB.