Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I just wanted to post these here because there are so many smart people in these forums, maybe someone can help me.

6 months ago I bought a mobile internet modem. At that time I had a PC but I knew that I was going to switch to mac so I asked the salesman if the modem would work with macs too he said that it would.
So I bought the mac and the modem doesn't work. I searched on their website and it said that if I wanted that internet service with the mac I would have to buy a specific modem for mac.
I sent them an email and they tell me that I have to buy a new modem, even though that the reason I bought this one is because I was misinformed by one of their employees. Of course I refused to buy a new modem. Two days later I went to their website and the modem they said I'd have to buy costs less than half of what they said I'd have to pay for it. So now I'm getting really angry and complained. So two weeks ago they said they were going to forward my complaint to another departement and I never heard from them again.
Now I have a contract from them for 6 more months but I can't use the internet because of their mistake. I wanted to switch to another service but I can't because of the contract. I just wanted to know if legally there's anything I can do because right now I'm paying for a service I can't use.

(Sorry for the long post)

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Ok, a little more info would be helpful, but lets cover what I can do right now.

Your ISP (internet service provider) will not be the problem, you will be able to access the internet no matter who you use for an ISP. The modem you use, and the router you use could the problem.

First off, what brand of each do you use?
Secondly, is your computer behind a firewall?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You're not getting the problem. I'll try to explain better. The modem is not compatible with macs. But when I bought it the salesman said it was. So because I was misinformed I have a modem that is not compatible with my Macbook so I can't use the internet.

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Im not sure if you have any legal recourse, because this is a he said/he said situation. You can certainly try explaining it to your company again, politely yet firmly, and see if that gets you anywhere. But, at the end of the day you may just have to end up getting the right modem for the Mac and chalk up the wasted money to "I'll know better next time" tax. I've paid a lot of that "tax" in my life!

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Im not sure if you have any legal recourse, because this is a he said/he said situation. You can certainly try explaining it to your company again, politely yet firmly, and see if that gets you anywhere. But, at the end of the day you may just have to end up getting the right modem for the Mac and chalk up the wasted money to "I'll know better next time" tax. I've paid a lot of that "tax" in my life!

The thing is I'm a student so I don't have a lot of money and the money I earn tutoring is just enough to pay my macbook so I really can't get a new modem and if I don't I have to keep paying for this service for 6 more months even though I can't use it.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
The modem is Zapp Z020. This is not a common brand since this is a portable modem and is specific to this service and I don't know if this particular service exists anywhere but Portugal.

Ok yeah, I don't think there are any work arounds. Sorry mate.

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
I'm sorry. I wish I had a better suggestion. But you asked if you have any legal recourse and I don't think you do. Would the cancellation penalty be more or less than paying for six months? Perhaps its more cost-effective to just cancel and take the financial hit, I don't know.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I wanted to thank all the people who replied to this thread trying to help me. I just wanted to let you all know that I found a script on the internet that allows my Macbook to detetct my modem, even though it wasn't mac-supported. Now my internet works better on my mac than it ever did on my pc. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.