Help with iOS app icon design

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Caketastic, Oct 9, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2012
    I have some design questions regarding how to save icon images for use in iOS apps.

I am designing the vector images in Illustrator, then copying them into Photoshop and saving for web/devices as .png files. Here is what I'm not clear on:
    1. So, for an iOS app icon for example, Apple specifies one of the sizes as 114x114. When I create the new Photoshop document into which I will paste the vector file, do I need to enter 114x114 at 326ppi or just leave it at 72ppi? I have asked various developers to no avail.
    2. Do I need to create my new Photoshop document into which I will paste the vector file larger than the largest bucket? So, if my largest bucket is 512x512, do I need to start with a document that is bigger than that? If so, by what multiple? Double--1024x1024 in this case?
    3. Do I need to create my vector file at exactly the same pixel dimensions as the intended size of the Photoshop doc I will paste into? So, if the Photoshop doc will be 1024x1024, should I set up my Illustrator doc at that exact size? I guess what I'm asking is if a smart object will scale without losing quality inside photoshop or if it becomes bitmapped.

Thanks for any help.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2007
    I use Lightwave to create 3D icons for my apps, so I'm not sure about AI to PS. I create my icons at 512x512 and scale them down to whatever is appropriate for the device in question. I just ran across this free app not long ago that will take the work out of making multiple icons. It's kind of strange that you download the app from a link in Vimeo, but that's the way the developer has it set up. Just know that what looks great at 512 may be unrecognizable at 114x114.
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2012
    Do you create the entire image in Lightwave, or just some 3D elements that you use in a photoshop document to build the icon?
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2013
  5. macrumors 65816

Jun 20, 2009
    Lincoln, UK
    I create my icons in Illustrator. I just use "Save for Web & Devices", repeating with each size I need as it is very easy to set the resolution that way. No need for Photoshop.