help with iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mr.barbra, Mar 19, 2007.

1. mr.barbra macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2007
    hello, being a new mac person, i was hoping you could help

In iphoto, is there a way to delete photos from withing iphoto and from my hardrive

Each time i delete from iphoto, i then need to delete it from my hard drive manualy

also is there i way to have edited photos replace the origional

at the moment it seems to keep the origional and save the edited version in the iphoto folder

many thanks:)
  2. downingp macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2006
    Welcome to Mac,

When you delete a photo in iphoto it will put it in the trash can within the iphoto program ( you should see an icon for the trash). When you empty the trash, it will permanantly delete the photo on your hard drive.
  3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Are your originals kept inside the iPhoto library or are they outside of it. iPhoto allows both. I think deletes may be handled differently in each case.

iPhoto is designed to never over write an original. This is a feature, not a bug. You always have to option to go back.
  4. mr.barbra thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2007
    hi there

I did as you said, but when searching my hard drive, the pictures are still there!

I have set up iphoto so that i doesn't copy all my pictures into iphoto folder, could this be the problem
  5. David Tappin macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2007
    Where have my folders gone?

I've been using iPhoto for a couple of years with absolute confidence. Suddenly the left hand drawer sidebar listing all my folders has disappeared and I can't recover it.
    Mac applications are so bullet proof I'm sure it's my fault, any ideas?
  6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    Try holding down option when you start iPhoto. It will ask you if you want to rebuild the library.
  7. David Tappin macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion Cameron. I now have a duplicate set of pictures but still no folder sidebar. It also helpfully took about 100 pictures which I had trashed and put them back in the duplicate set. I must remember to empty the trash next time!

Any other ideas?

8. dapower macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2007
    Lost All Pictures in iPhoto

I need help. I opened iPhoto to find that all but 14 of my photos had disappeared and been replaced by dotted square. Every time I click on the dotted square iPhoto refuses to respond further and has to be force quitted. I think that all my photos are elsewhere on the hard-drive and can problem be reimported but I'm not sure if what I've seen is symtomatic of something serious. Everyone? Anyone?