Help with iPod Decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SahDu, Sep 14, 2006.

1. SahDu macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2006
    Ok, so since my old iPod just completely died I have been waiting to buy a new iPod. I'm pretty much at the point that I want to go through with it. Couple of questions for people who are more in the know than I am.

1. Should I wait until after the Holiday season is up, since it was implied that there could be another update before then?

2. Is there a chance the full screen video iPod (I believe its been temporarily named vPod from here?) coming out within the near future? I have been hearing about it for a while, but what are the chances it will actually hit the market? (I know this will be mostly speculation as it is not definitively known.)

3. If I do, in fact, buy the iPod, is it more worthwhile to purchase it at a retailer like Best Buy or buy it direclty from the Apple store? I have friends who have been able to get their malfunctioning iPods updated to the next generation through Best Buy, is the same true with the Apple store? Similarly, is there an advantage to buying it at certain online retailers?

Sorry about the seemingly ignorant questions, but I figured why not take the time to ask. Thanks so much for the help!

2. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    1. Depends on how badly you want an iPod.
    2. There won't be another update before January. This is the lineup for the Christmas season.
    3. Best Buy will replace with current model if you buy their service plan.
    Amazon is a good choice because they don't charge sales tax. Also you can trade in your broken iPod for 10% off a new one.
  3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    1. I would buy now if I were you.
    2. Doubt it. Read here:
    3. The new iPods will take a while to get to the retailers. BestBuy, CompUSA etc. offer sevice plans that would extend the warrenty and cover accidental damage, if you wait for them to come into those stores, I would suggest looking at those options if you think you might want.
    Also, while they are not cheaper, sometimes retail stores will offer perks such as free accessories, probably not now becasue they are new but in the future.
  4. SahDu thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2006
    I was looking through that. Some interesting concepts. So it seems as though most everyone would bet on no vPod soon. Any idea when the retailers (Best Buy and such) would get the new 80gigs in?