Help With iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i-sidd, Jan 6, 2007.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

I got a new MB and I am a switcher. My question is that I have a 30gb Ipod Video and I used it with my old Dell laptop and now I want to transfer my library from my PC (bye bye) and to my New MB. Could any one tell me how I can do that. The PC will still be used and I would like to have the library there as well. What I am saying is that can I use my Ipod with my MB and my PC and have the music be on both computers.

2. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

You can keep the music on both computers, but you can only use one library to update your ipod. The easiest way to get your music to your mac is using software to copy it to the mac from your ipod. I'll post that software later cause I have to find it first. You will also have to reformat your ipod to macintosh.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

DON'T reformat your iPod. Keep it windows formatted and you'll be able to use it on both computers. You'll need to use your PC to do the odd firmware update but that's an inconvenience that is far outweighed by the ability to use it on both PCs and Macs.

Download Senuti on your MacBook and use it to transfer songs and playlists from your iPod to your Mac.

Leave your iPod Windows formatted if you want to use it on both platforms.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Leave the iPod formatted for Windows, but transfer all the music over to the MB and make that the library the iPod syncs to. Then to play the music on the PC, plug in the iPod and play them off there from within iTunes.

To get the files between the computers, you can reformat the iPod so that it's blank, then use it in disk mode as an external USB drive.

5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am sorry but I guess I will need a little bit of more explanations. I am new to Mac and I would appreciate if you could tell me the exact steps so that I don't mess up.

Thanks

6. Queso macrumors G4

OK, most of it you do from the Windows side. Plug the iPod in, and make sure that in iTunes you allow the iPod to be used in disk mode. It should then appear as a drive letter in your My Computer window. Exit iTunes, then copy your iTunes music folder structure from your My Documents area over to the iPod.

Then plug the iPod into the Mac, but when iTunes fires up and asks you what you want to do with it, cancel the window. Open the iTunes preferences and just check in the Advanced panel that iTunes is configured to keep your music folder organised. If it isn't, enable the checkbox.

Then from the File menu in iTunes, select Import and navigate to the iTunes folder on the iPod. iTunes should then copy all the music files on the iPod over to your MB's hard disk, adding them to the iTunes library as it does so.

After they are all copied, you can open the iPod from within the Finder, drag the iTunes folder on it to the Trash, then empty the Trash to remove it. The iPod will now be empty again and ready for you to synchronise with the new music library.

Once all the music is on the MacBook you could technically remove it from the PC to save disk space, or leave it there. If you decide to remove it, the music from the iPod can be played through iTunes on the PC when you plug it in. Just tell iTunes on Windows not to attempt to synchronise to the iPod when you first plug it in.

You can also network the two machines and use iTunes sharing (easy to turn on in the iTunes Preferences), although that obviously requires the machine storing the library to always be turned on.

7. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey dynamicv
    I am confused at this step.
    then copy your iTunes music folder structure from your My Documents area over to the iPod.

Where can I find this music folder structure. I have my music saved in a different folder in a different location its not in my documents.
    Please let me know

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Go into iTunes on your PC, go Edit > Preferences > Advanced and then find out what the folder it says it's all store in is called.

Make sure the 'Keep my iTunes folder organised' box is ticked, (if it was unticked, ticking it may mean you have to wait while the computer moves files around), and then copy the folder shown in the iTunes preferences window over to your iPod.

9. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Check Apple.com/support and there is an article. Took me not even 5 minutes to transfer 500+ songs.

10. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Go into iTunes on your PC, go Edit > Preferences > Advanced and then find out what the folder it says it's all store in is called.

Make sure the 'Keep my iTunes folder organised' box is ticked, (if it was unticked, ticking it may mean you have to wait while the computer moves files around), and then copy the folder shown in the iTunes preferences window over to your iPod.

Hey

I followed the steps. That option was not ticked and I ticked it and clicked OK BUT it did not do anything. I also checked the folder that is supposed to have all the songs. However, it shows only 4 songs which were there from before.......anyone have any more tricks ????

11. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Check Apple.com/support and there is an article. Took me not even 5 minutes to transfer 500+ songs.

Hey do you have a link to that article???

Thanks,
    Sidd

12. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey guys.......I figured it out!!!

Thanks for all your help.....dynamicv - Thanks for the detailed explaination.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Well done i-sidd. Sorry for dipping out before the end too. It was bedtime here in Europe :)