help with iWeb and godaddy.com

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebiggoose, Sep 18, 2006.

1. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

I'm making a site in iWeb for someone who has a godaddy hosting planb and domain name. how do i upload a page from iWeb to the internet

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

You need to get the files that you will upload to the GoDaddy server from iWeb.

Go to

File > Publish To Folder

Choose any destination, I usually do my desktop.:)

You will see a folder and an index.html file appear on the desktop, those are the files you will want to upload onto the server. I'm not sure if GoDaddy uses FTP to upload files or what, so you would have to check in the Help section of your account.

Hope this helps, Kevin

3. thebiggoose thread starter macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

i got the publsih to foldert...i just need to know how to upload it

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

From GoDaddy Help:

For FTP Clients, I would use CyberDuck (free) or Transmission (not free, but REALLY good client).

Kevin

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

In all likelihood there is FTP setting info somewhere on the godaddy pages (I can't help you with this, since I only use them for my domain names and not hosting). Then you'll want to use an FTP program (with the necessary configuration) to upload that stuff to their server. I'd recommend Cyberduck, a great piece of freeware.

Edit: Oh, and Transmit is the other FTP app, Transmission is a bittorrent program.:D

6. thebiggoose thread starter macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

now i found the ftp stuff...but I need help using cyberduck

7. thebiggoose thread starter macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

actually im goign to use the godaddy ftp client

now what files do i need to upload...i have the index.html and the folder named teh site name with stuff inside....i uploaded those to the remotes ystem and there werea lready some files and folders in there....what do i need and where

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If your iWeb site is called "My Stuff", for example, iWeb will create a folder when you publish called "My Stuff", which will contain .html files as well as folders for each page on the site. What you need to do with this stuff will depend on way godaddy hosting works. Either you'll need to

a) upload all of the contents of "My Stuff" to the godaddy server, or
    b) upload the "My Stuff" folder (along with all of it's contents) to the server.

You'll have to check their online documentation to see which is needed. Guessing, I'd say it's probably the first, but you'll have to look into this.

9. thebiggoose thread starter macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

i copied all the files out of the directories instead if teh whole folder and it doenst give an error message any more....btu now the site only displays the background

can someone check out the site....inktoons.com

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

There should be a folder called "Inktoons...coming soon!_files" which also has to be uploaded to the same directory as your .html files. Are you sure you've got this uploaded?

If you have, there might be some problem with the "..." in the page and folder name. Maybe try something without "..." in the page name? (This might cause problems because the period is often treated as a special character, but I suspect it's just a matter of getting the folder uploaded.)

11. dazboardrider macrumors member

I also use godaddy for one of my web sites and I use Fetch as my FTP client. Very straight foward to use.

When I web publishes your HTML file it names them exactly as you name them. Have you named your first page index.html???

Darren

http://www.boardaddict.com

12. moxmotion macrumors newbie

Do I have to upload my whole site everytime I update it?

Most times I'm only changing small things on one or two pages. My tech person advised me to do it that way using cyberduck. It works but seems like a waste of time. Any thoughts?

13. jkixxon macrumors newbie

Linux or Windows

I want to publish an iWeb made site to godaddy's hosting. They give you an option when you set up a hosting account to use Windows or Linux. Does anyone know if a specific option is required, or if there is any specific reason to go with one or the other? Thanks!

14. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but where do you find the settings for FTP from godaddy.com? I am using the economy linux hosting plan.

15. Dubba macrumors regular

I have a hosting account with GoDaddy.com, created a website on iWeb, and uploaded it using CyberDuck.

The process is pretty simple:

1) get your hosting account activated by GoDaddy
    2) log-in to goDaddy and set-up your account and get your FTP info
    3) use CyberDuck to upload the relevant pages via iWeb.

I hope this helps.