Help with Keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CeCe, Dec 10, 2006.

1. CeCe macrumors member

I just switched to a MacBook and I'm starting to learn the basic keyboard shortcuts and functions.

I'm having difficulty with this one in particular. For example, in Windows, if you press F2, it can rename a file or edit cell contents in Excel. Is there a similar keyboard shortcut? I've searched on this forum as well as in "help", but I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm taking French in University and help with how to input various vowels (ex: an e with an accent) without going to insert > symbol.

Also, and basic shortcuts or functions would be appreciated.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

To rename a file click on it and then press Enter or click on it again after a pause. A box will appear around the name with the name highlighted. It can then be edited like any other text. Key combinations for accented letters can be found here. In the Finder select Help and search for keyboard shortcuts.

3. CeCe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, that was really helpful (the help in microsoft word was a bit confusing).

I'm using the the trackpad to edit/rename filenames, but it's not very convenient for me. Maybe it'll be easier once I get the wireless mighty mouse.