help with LaCie external hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by El Phantasmo, Jul 9, 2005.

1. El Phantasmo macrumors member

Hi, first post here :D

I have a little problem with a LaCie firewire hard drive, I hope someone can help me.

I had been using the drive without a single problem with my iBook for a couple months (I bought the drive used from a coworker, 120GB). The problem arised last week when i bought a new iMac. I had backed up all my data from my old PC on to the external drive and was transferring files (music, pictures, documents, etc) to the iMac when suddenly i got a reading error on a random file.. I tought that particular file had been currupted somehow and tried to continue copying stuff and i kept getting read errors from different files. I then hooked up the drive to the iBook to discard possibilities but the Finder also kept giving me beachballs and freezing the computer (I got a gray screen with white letters in different languages telling me that i needed to shutdown the computer by holding down the power button :eek: ).

Anyhow, I managed to copy like 80% of my old files and after that tried erasing the external drive with the disk utility from my iBook, hoping that the problem were the files and not the drive. After erasing and partitioning the drive everything seemed to work fine.. i could copy files to and from the external drive. Then I hooked up the drive back to the iMac and got the same freakin' problems. This time were no reding errors, but rather the Finder gave me a beach ball and would stop responding until I either rebooted or unplugged the drive from the firewire port.

After further tinkering it seems like the problem is with the drive and the iMac together, because the drive seems to work just fine with the iBook after I repartitioned the drive.

I already tried using the utility that writes 0's to the whole drive and it gave me no errors at all. I then copied like 3GB of pictures to the drive using the iMac without a single hiccup but then when trying to import those pics to iPhoto from the external drive, I got the dang beachball and it didn't went away until i unplugged the drive.

The main difference between the iBook and the iMac is that i'm running 10.3.9 on the iBook and 10.4.1 on the iMac. And I already downloaded the LaCie utility that updates the firmware but it says that the drive has the latest firmware.

Thanks for reading...

2. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Wait...

You transferred from a PC to a Lacie?

Was it formatted using FAT32? As in, you had a few partitions? I'm pretty sure it had to be - unless you had some dirty hack that let you write to HFS.

More info please.

I can tell you from experience, the 'non-stop-spinning-beachball' means 'something broke'. My 'logic board' (honestly, these terms?) on the HD was fried, somehow. I'm pretty sure the school wiring killed it. It would spin up, the light would turn on - but it wouldn't mount, etc.

So I sent it in, and they fixed it for free. All of my data was still intact.

Just remember - if the HD is still under warranty, Lacie will fix it for free - I think they even paid for shipping - but I forget.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Actually, it sounds like the files themselves are corrupt (sorry to say). Something very similar happened to some of my files (Mail.app files) and I lost a good amount of my archived email.