Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
Does anyone know how to configure the Linksys PPS1UW (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=37&prid=438) print server to work with a Mac? I have a Canon i850 connected to the print server.

I downloaded the drivers for the i850 from Canon and then chose that I have an IP printer in the add printer box, but when you go from USB to IP I loose the options to select my i850.

I have tried the generic printer, but when you hit print it acks like it is printing but nothing come out of the printer. :mad:

Linksys does not support the Mac side of the print server. I have a bunch of AppleTalk settings in the print server, but still have not clue how to use them.

On my PC's Linksys has a little utility that add a "vitural" LPT port to the PC to print.

If the linksys print server will not work what print server do I need that will work with both PC and Mac.

Thanks,
Doug :confused:

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
Can anyone help me? Anyone have any idea?

I can I buy a new print server and get it to work? What brand?

Thanks,
Doug

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
The PC and the Linksys print server came first

I have owned the linksys print server, router, wap, and hub for about a year. I have owned the G5 for 2 weeks.

Since the print server has apple talk settings I thought that I could get it to work.

I started with a dlink printserver, but it really was a problem child.

Doug

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DougJrS said:
I have owned the linksys print server, router, wap, and hub for about a year. I have owned the G5 for 2 weeks.

Since the print server has apple talk settings I thought that I could get it to work.

I started with a dlink printserver, but it really was a problem child.

Doug
How do you expect to use an AppleTalk print server to print to a non-AppleTalk printer?

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
I have only had a Mac for 2 weeks - I have no clue what AppleTalk is. I thought that it was a network protocol to talk to the server. I guess it is some kinds protocol to talk to the printer?

Why does the printer need to know AppleTalk? My printer does not know about TCP/IP and it still prints over the networt with the Windows PCs.

Doug

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DougJrS said:
I have only had a Mac for 2 weeks - I have no clue what AppleTalk is. I thought that it was a network protocol to talk to the server. I guess it is some kinds protocol to talk to the printer?

Why does the printer need to know AppleTalk? My printer does not know about TCP/IP and it still prints over the networt with the Windows PCs.

Doug
AppleTalk is indeed a network protocol. However, non-PostScript AppleTalk printers require drivers that communicate via AppleTalk. A driver for a USB printer would not do that. TCP/IP does not talk to the printer, per se. It talks to the print server. The print server, in turn, talks to the printer in the language that it understands. You could use your printer with your print server if there were a CUPS/GIMP-print driver for it. However, there is no CUPS driver for the Canon i850.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.