Help with Live Firefox Updating with MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Racktacular, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

I like to watch football on Sundays and follow the games through NFL.com. They have live stat updates on their scoreboard that I have never had a problem with.

Now, I just got a new MB 4 days ago and today when I was watching the games the live update feature was not working. I only updated every 2 minutes which is not good enough for me.

I went through their troubleshooting and it says it works with firefox and I have an updated version of it, however the live feature doesn't work. I have to believe that it has something to do with the mac itself because it works with my Samsung PC laptop via Firefox.

Anyone have any experience with what I am talking about?

TIA!

Rack

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Would you plz post a screen cap of that page?

3. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

That was the first time I did a screen capture on a Mac. Had to look it up on google on how to do it. Hope this works:

Attached Files:

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

5. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

OK cool...it worked. Now you should see the minimum requirements and then the part where it says "SYSTEM" that is my Mac (it meets all the requirements). Then on the bottom where it says: "Live scoring enabled" it says "NO". Why not? It should say YES because I meet all requirements.

Anyone understand this?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't use NFL.com live updating, but could it be that you don't meet the requirement of having a "PC"?

7. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you say that? It says Firefox 1.0 and higher is supported,no?

8. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

what are the controls for screen capture? ive always wanted to do that... pls adivse

9. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, that could be it, just wanted to verify. Just wanted to make sure that now one else had any other ideas on how to make this work.

10. l3lue macrumors member

l3lue

I use the nfl.com page that your talking about for fantasy football updates. I've noticed that it works flawlessly when i use it in Windows XP via Parallels. When I use Firefox 2.0 in Mac OS, it does not work the same. It's gotta be a Windows vs. Mac issue.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FWIW, if I go to that help page using Safari, it says that it's not compatible with live scoring. But if I spoof it into thinking that my Safari browser is IE6 for Windows, it says it passes the test and can do live scoring.

12. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

How do you spoof it into thinking Safari is IE 6?

13. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Command + Shift+ 3

It saves it into the main HD desktop...level 1.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You need to enable the Debug menu of Safari. TinkerTool is a great little app for this and other system tweaks.

Once you've done that, go to the NFL Live help page and it will tell you that it's not supported. Go to your Debug menu, go down to "User Agent," and select "Windows MSIE 6.0." It will reload the page, but send info to NFL.com that it's IE. It should tell you that Live Scoring works on your system. You can then continue to browse in that window and it will continue to think that your browser is IE. It seems to do more than just a browser check on that help page, so I'm inclined to think that it really should work once you fool NFL.com.

15. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

OK I DL'd Tinker Tool. Enabled the debug menu. Opened Safari and it didn't work. Now I'm stuck. I am trying to locate the debug menu in Safari but I can't find it. How do I get there so I can do the next steps (user agent and Windows MSIE 6.0).

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's the last thing on the menu bar. Make sure you restart Safari if you enabled it through TinkerTool while Safari was open.

Picture 1.png

17. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Wow-lol- I swear that the "DEBUG" wasn't on the title menu.

IT WORKED! Awesome! Thanks a ton (it at least says YES, next to live scoring. My one question is: do I need to do that (debug, user agent, IE 6) everytime I load the page? Probably not but have to ask.

Thanks again.

- Got any other small apps that makes life with a MAC a little easier- for us newbies.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, it says that, but often developers don't check the whole version string. They're probably checking for "Firefox" and "1" and that's it because it's easy to do that and somewhat more difficult to check for "1" and "2" or greater than or equal to "1" but less than "3".

I've noticed that behaviour with a lot of Flash-enabled pages. It's amazing to me to see "You need to upgrade" messages when I have a newer version than the one for which the content was designed.

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Unfortunately, I think you do need to do that every time you go to the page, unless it's the same window. Setting the user agent only holds for that specific browser window until you close the program. I don't know of a way to automatically specify that a given page should open using a specific user agent. (But then again, I don't do it very often, so I haven't really looked into it.)