Help with Mac Pro Configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Stevez0r, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Stevez0r macrumors member

Mar 19, 2006
    New York City
    I'm going to buy a mac pro in the very near future, but I need help with the configuration. I'm going to mostly use it for Gaming, Internet, eMail, Photos, and iTunes. I want to go with the 2.0 GHz model and spend the extra cash on some RAM. I just don't know which video card I should get. Thanks for any input.

EDIT: I'll be using my 20" ACD.
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    It depends on what games you want to play. I think the stock 7300 GT is fine for most games.
  3. pengu macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2005
    Diddily Daddily...
    for gaming i would suggest the best video card you can afford.
  4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    at least 2GB of ram is a must. I am suffering with just the 1 GB. So I plan on buying another GB after christmas or so. I am a High school student so I don't have any money left. ;)
  5. Fredou51 macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, 2GB of ram is a minimum. I am not really a gamer (I got the x1900 mainly for Motion and Shake) but I think the x1900 is definitely a huge improvement. The 2GHz is a good choice considering you don't do any Final Cut, Shake, Aperture, etc, but you will notice it is a bit slower than an iMac or MacBook Pro in applications that are not optimized for multiple processors but are still considered "processor intensive".