Help With Macbook!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamescwarren, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi. I was just using my Dad's MacBook 1.83 GHz. It just randomly switched off. I thought OK, maybe the battery was very low and I hadn't noticed. But I have checked the battery by pressing the button on the bottom of the laptop; but it is full. I plugged the MagSafe power cord in and pressed the on button. All it does is put the fans on lowest setting, turns and keeps the power light on, and that's it. Nothing else at all. Is it bust? Should I take it into the local Apple Service Store? Is there something I can do? Is this a known problem with a few MacBook's? Thanks! Please be quick!:(

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

does your dad hate you now?

1. try take out the battery, additional ram if you have installed any, and any peripharel (sp.) installed, only with magesafe on, try again...
    2. try reset the power management unit
    3. if none of those work, bring it in

3. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thanks! But just out of intrest; before I reset the Power Management Unit, will it reset anything on the computer if it works? For example: time or screen saver time? Things like that?

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

There have been loadsa reports like this on the site. It is a known problem but, if your dad doesn't know, dont tell him and pretend it never happened. If he does, take it to your nearest Apple store after backing up the system.

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

as far as i understood, he can't turn on the computer now?

or does it do anything when you press the power button, aside from sound of fan... any LED, screen back light? etc?

6. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

All it does put the fan on as normal and keeps the little LED light on in the right corner. And btw: ever since the fan update was installed on the MacBook, the fans have fun all the time very quietly like they are now. And resetting the PMU hasn't done anything.

7. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

ow srry take it to apple center fast !!!!!!!!!!

8. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

that happened to me yesterday and all I did was reset the PRAM and it worked fine again. If you dont know how to do that, turn off the computer. then press the power button, and immediately after that press ctrl (apple logo), option, P, R. You'll hear the start up chime and then it will cut off again, only to turn back on with the chime even louder. hopefully this helps...

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This is a known issue. Take it back to Apple to fix it.