Help with Mail and Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rayyork, Aug 23, 2006.

1. rayyork macrumors newbie

I have searched the archives and haven't found this discussed. I have an Exchange server and have been using Entourage but it is choking on the large number of emails and thus the database checker spends the first half of every day rebuilding itself. I decided to try "Mail" as my client as it supports Exchange server as well. I like Mail better than Entourage but it is slower to update than Entourage on my many Exchange folders. My biggest issue now though is that it is not updating Exchange with the changes to my messages. Meaning, if I delete or move a message in Mail, it does not reflect that change on Exchange (I also view my mail on 2 PC's with Outlook). I do select "auto sync mailbox" (images below) and it will update the server when I first select it but then stops and if I swith from password to NTLM it will update again but stop so I switch back again, etc, etc. Is there any way to make this work all of the time without having to force it by switching methods?

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your Exchange server works with Mail and you are asking for more? Thank your lucky stars that you don't have to use Microsoft Entourage 2004.

3. rayyork thread starter macrumors newbie

I would hope that "just working" isn't the benchmark for Macs.............

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The problem isn't Apple, the Macintosh, or Mail. The problem is Microsoft , Exchange server, and the dweebs that implement it.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Are you connected on both computers at the same time? That could be creating problems. I lost my entire address book that way.

6. rayyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your perspective but that doesn't help my issue.

7. rayyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, all three actually. I'll try just the Mac for a day and see how that works.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I have 8500 emails + attachments in my Entourage database, nearly 2GB in size, and have no performance issues on my PB. My database resides on my PB rather than on the server, which probably makes a difference.

I set up an Entourage rule to copy incoming emails to an 'Email Buffer' folder on the server, and move the mail message from the inbox on the server to the inbox on my PB. I have a schedule set up to maintain only the last 15 days emails in the Email Buffer.

This means I get the speed advantages of a local email database, but I can also access the last 15 days emails from another system by opening the Email Buffer folder. Of course I have a daily scheduled backup to copy my local database to an external drive, just in case.....

9. rayyork thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I figured it out. Mail updates the Exchange server when you shut Mail down unlike Outlook that constantly is in sync with the Exchage server.

10. johnchandler macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking the time to post what you figured out. I just ran into the same issue last night and I've been trying to trouble shoot it.

It'll be a bit of a hassle to close down Mail, but workable.

I also wish that Mail and Outlook would delete files to the same folder.