Help with Mail.app crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gauchogolfer, Apr 28, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks in advance for helping me out here. I'm troubleshooting my sister's iBook running 10.4.6 and we're 7 time zones apart, so things take a bit of time to coordinate.

Her report to me was this: she opens up Mail.app, gets through the load process, sees her mail for about 2 seconds, then the app crashes.

So far (this morning) I've tried the following: reboot, repair permissions, trash .plist files from both her user account and the main mail folder, all to no avail. So, any ideas?

My next thought was to dump the LSMMap2, which I think is a junk mail filter. If that doesn't work, maybe she has an HTML message with a 'bad' image that's trying to load? If so, how would I disable html image loading without being able to run mail.app? Would disconnecting from the network first keep this type of crash from occurring?

Thanks for any help you can think of.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It does sound like a corrupt attachment. To narrow things down, get her to try to remember when exactly this started, then look through the emails (with attachments) that arrived at or just before that time. :)

3. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Any idea how to browse through the attachments if Mail keeps crashing? I'll talk to her and see if she has webmail access, but if not, do you have any suggestions?

BTW mad_jew, I just nominated you (before your post) for most helpful MR member. :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Webmail access will make this easier. However, what sort of email is it? Is it POP3 or IMAP or something entirely different? :)

Got you fooled. :p

5. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I actually browsed over to her ISP, and it looks like webmail access is possible. So, no need to work around this time. I'm pretty sure it's IMAP, though, FWIW.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just to let you know, most of the time the corrupt attachment is either an app or even more commonly, a WMV. May not be the case for your sister (hell, corrupt attachments may not even be the problem), but it might help you find the culprit. Good luck. :)

7. philipz macrumors newbie

I had the same issue; Flip4Mac was the cause. I upgraded to a later version and the problem was fixed.
    Very annoying btw.
    Check if she has installed Flip4Mac