Help with Mail-Cannot send through smtp.mac.com

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hi i have a wierd problem with mail that started today. I can receive mail but when ever i try and SEND a message i get this error:
    Cannot send message using the server smtp.mac.com
    Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings.

Is the mail server down or something? i'm new to macs and mail so i have no idea what's going on lol. thanks for all/any help!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Who is your ISP? Most ISP's dont allow you to use anyone elses SMTP server but theirs. Try senting your outbound serner to the smtp server of your ISP.

3. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Mine is bell sympatico. But i have no idea what their server would be called or anything im not very good with the computer. Any step by step guides would be really appreciated! thanks!

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Try smtp1.sympatico.ca

5. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

ok it lets me send messages but there all very small and have a size cap which doesnt let me send audio files which i need. i have no idea why the smtp.mail.com just all of a sudden stoped working, i hadnt played with the settings or anything.... any ideas or solutions?