Help with making files invisible again....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oreocracker, Feb 26, 2007.

1. oreocracker macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2007
    There are 'Network', 'Servers' and .DS_Store icons on my desktop and I'd like to get rid of them. I think they are supposed to be invisble. I've tried XRAY, but it doesn't seem to work.

They got there because I had to change things in the 'Termimal' Utility to see files on my ipod that I needed to add other files to.

I don't know how to get them off now. When I drag the Network and Servers icons to the trash, it says 'Disconnect'. When I drag the .DS_Store icon to the trash, it says it's an invisible file and can't be copied.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?
  2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    You shouldn't have had to have changed anything in the terminal in order to see hidden files. Simply navigate to the directory that you wanted to see all the hidden files in and do a

and that will show all the system files and hidden files to you while not changing the finder in the slightest. The only thing I can suggest would be to undo the changes you made previously to the terminal. What were they exactly? Did you modify any configuration files?
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You probably used this command to make hidden files visible:
    defaults write AppleShowAllFiles 1
    To undo it, use
    defaults write AppleShowAllFiles 0
    You will then want to restart the Finder to kick the changes over: ctrl-option-click its Dock icon, and pick Relaunch from the menu.

To get rid of the unwanted drive icons, look in Finder's preferences under the General tab, and uncheck Connected Servers.
  4. grace289 macrumors newbie

May 6, 2009

I had those files visible for the longest time and didn't know how to hide them again. you ROCK.