Help with media players

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KevRC4130, Aug 3, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,
    I have a new Powerbook, and have come across some issues when trying to play videos/music that have been downloaded off the internet. One example off the top of my head are the songs on www.cdzlimited.net. Also, any video that is a '.wmv' doesn't work.What do I need to do to get these files to play?

Thanks!

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

For wmv files, you should get Windows Media Player, available at http://microsoft.com/mac

I think most people on here agree that VLC is the most versatile player, and can play most video files that the can be played on a Mac.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Lee Tom

3. Nspace macrumors regular

I use vlc player, it is nice, unfortunately it does not seem to play WMP 9.0 video format. If someone knows of an addon please let me know though. So for that reason I have WMP installed as well for those times when vlc player cant decode the video.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

.wmv requires Windows Media Player. You can get it from Microsoft. VLC is a better player, but it won't play Windows Media 9 files.

<soapbox>Personally, I've decided that if something is in a format that needs a Microsoft player to use then I don't need the file that bad. It's the format of the lazy--the people that don't change presets or think about compatibility when they design their content.</soapbox>

5. KevRC4130 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    Thanks, I downloaded Windows Media Player. I went to play a .wmv , and it said it is a file Quicktime doesn't understand. How do I get it to use Windows MP instead of Quicktime?

6. Juswitched macrumors newbie

Right click the file and it will say "open with". Choose WMP.

7. Nspace macrumors regular

I understand 100% what Horrortaxi is saying but I have to admit WMV 9.0 has relatively good quality in terms of its size I have found which makes it a semi decent format. I dont know why other players havent added support for it.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

For me it's not about quality. Imagine a world where Microsoft controls the formats you use for everything. If there is a universal format then how easy is it for the people who control that format to control you. Maybe one day they put something in the .doc format that doesn't allow you to save documents with certain words--words Microsoft doesn't think you should be writing. I know this idea sounds a little sci fi, but it is possible for this to happen. Monopolies are a bad thing for many reasons and this is just one of them.

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

When I go to videos on entensity.net (warning: may offend the offendable) they require Windows Media Player. With Safari, they are very tiny (70 by 70 pixels or so) and can't make it to the end. When I use Netscape, or my friend's book.. they're big and nice. I'm running all the newest software, and have reinstalled WMP twice. Any ideas?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You're kidding, right? WMV 9.0 is a proprietary Microsoft format. Other players have not added the format because it is closed. Microsoft doesn't want it playable in other players. Do you realize that Microsoft took the better part of a year to release WMP 9 for Windows 98? The plurality of the Windows installed base is Windows 98, but Microsoft made its users cool their heels for about a year before giving them a version WMP 9. Is it beginning to dawn on you why the EU is so concerned about this player?

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

WMP doesn't work "inside the browser" on the Mac, as far as I know (I don't use WMP). I'd try trashing the Windows Media Player preferences first.