help with my forums

Discussion in 'Community' started by xJus10x, May 10, 2004.

1. xJus10x macrumors regular

I need a free (since I'm only 14 with no money) webhost with the ability to host a phpBB forum. Thanks so much for the help, I really want this.

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

3. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really like woltab... do you know any others, thanks for helping.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really don't know how easy it will be to find a free host for phpBB, since it needs php (not a problem) an MySQL (big problem). I can't see many (if anyone) offering free php & mysql hosting :(

5. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

well that sux, do you know and CHEAP hosts that will do the job?

6. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

What do you have against woltlab? that the standard skin is ugly? It takes you 10 minutes in the admin panel to set up skins as you like them. Luckily rally rare woltlabs use the standard skin - I can't say the same of phpBBs (seen one, seen them all).

What would you loose if you try? Some time, but you'd get maybe some php knowledge. Try it for a few weeks, if it as forum doesn't seem to do what you like, change it. I have used woltlab for nearly 2 years, and I don't have a reason to change it. I don't like phpBB, (I've used it, was admin to a site using that), so the only board structure that would be worth the change, vBulletin, is out of question. As the site has under 20,000 active members and I don't have the $ either. :)

7. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

yeah woltab is ok, i signed up but they have to "manually check" and hey wheres a good place to get woltab templates?

8. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

wbbhost4.com has many templates and people who enjoy creating them (a great place to ask for how-tos for hacks and mods ..). Also woltlab.de forum and the wbbmods site have a lot of templates and showcases. You could see if you find a template you like and modify that to your needs, or if you feel lazier, explain what kind of forum you are creating, what kind of color or style scheme you would enjoy with it, and let someone who is feeling creative, give you some new ideas ;) (I think personally it's better when it's not abusing the aqua look..)

(the english download for wbb 1.2 here, in case you didn't find yet).

9. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i'm still waiting for them to send me my validation....

will you join my forum when i make it, it's going to be a tech forum... mainly for mac people

10. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

anyone wanna host me?

lol for free im in desperate need of a host, will put links to the hosts site all over my site, and a subdomain is fine. the only thing i ask for is a mysql database...

thanks you soooooooo much

Note from moderator: Your two threads have been merged. In the future, do not start multiple threads for the same question.

11. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Sounds great! Why not, it is always more fun when there are more people around ;)

Evil tool normally answers quite quick, though if he is busy at work it may take a few days (but never long).

12. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

we have a whole web forum there. Second search through soem free opportunites and see if anyone will give u this kind of stuff with some adverstisements. I would not recommend someone to host random forums because the domain owner is liable for what goes on it ...

14. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

if its something that say no more than 50 people will be going to you can just host off your own system with a broadband connection if you have one.

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I didn't know mods could edit posts. Is this a new feature?

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Nope, nothing new. Mods delete posts that clearly violate forum rules, but sometimes posts need only a portion removed or a reminder added.